What's new
What's new

Looking for android app or formula to work out this ball size.

philip skipton

Plastic
Can anybody help? Please see attached image for sizes etc. Need to work out "x" which is the size from front face to top of ball locating inside taper.

Attachments

• IMG_20200212_222426.jpg
    IMG_20200212_222426.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 176
Why not draw it in a free CAD program and measure it? I get 23.93mm minimum and 24.13mm maximium. But don't trust those figures! :)

Well I shot for nominal-ish and got 24.028mm so I'd say your numbers are good.

I must be really bored to have just done somebody's homework. Is it 4:00 yet? :Yawn:

Cheers guys. I've not got access to cad only 3 of us working right now in machine shop and nobody got access.
Did both of you guys do it with cad or can you show me a formula?

If you extend the to tapered lines together, draw a line from intersection to center of circle, then down to tangent point you will have some triangles to easily solve it with basic trigonometry.

But I agree, much easier to draw it in CAD and just analyse it. Cad makes things so easy that I forget how to use trig completely.

But I agree, much easier to draw it in CAD and just analyse it. Cad makes things so easy that I forget how to use trig completely.

The Cad does make it too easy. Once in a while, I just free hand it, and do the geometry and the trig. Just to make sure I still can.. And it can be fun, creates new neural pathways and can stave off alzheimers also.

I must be really bored to have just done somebody's homework. Is it 4:00 yet?

It was Beer:30 a long time ago.

Once in a while, I just free hand it, and do the geometry and the trig. Just to make sure I still can.. And it can be fun, creates new neural pathways and can stave off alzheimers also.
Hello Bob,
And you have to do that to make sure the CAD is not making mistakes.:D

Regards,

Bill

If you extend the to tapered lines together, draw a line from intersection to center of circle, then down to tangent point you will have some triangles to easily solve it with basic trigonometry.

Back in the day I had to work out such problems with a basic calculator and a book of log and trig tables. Even though I have CAD I'm glad I can still solve problems without it if I have to.

To the OP:

There are online trig calculators so once you have your basics you can just plug the numbers in if your phone only has a basic type calculator rather than a scientific one.

To the OP:

There are online trig calculators so once you have your basics you can just plug the numbers in if your phone only has a basic type calculator rather than a scientific one.

Samsung's default calculator app will do trig if you turn your phone to landscape mode. Not sure about Android default or other manufacturers' apps.

Back