What's new
What's new

Looking for a better tool for 304L facemill

mdubuk

Plastic
I am working on a project with 304L stainless and wondering if I am running the best facemill for the job.

Material is 2.5" x 5.25" x 1" 304L and I am taking 0.0625" off the top in one pass.
The tool is a Sumitomo WGC 3" facemill with ACM300 grade inserts running at 650RPM (510SFM) and 24IPM (0.006IPT).
Machine is Haas VF8 with CAT50 spindle and 7500 RPM max.

This is running well but would like to see if there is a better tool to squeeze some more cycle time out of the program. We run 500 to 1000 parts at a time and any time saved adds up.

Thanks,
Mike

Well, what is that tool >not< doing now that is causing you to seek something faster? Insert life, surface finish, etc...

Sent via CNC 88HS

Well more teeth should let you run it faster. I dont do that kind of production work so I have to admit I try for best surface finish and leave it at that.

Charles

What Cole2534 said, we need more info in order to better give you advice on a different cutter.
That being said, if your issue is tool life and cycle time, I'd take a look at the Sandvik Coromill 745 cutter. 14 edges per insert and it's a beast of a cutter.

CoroMill 745

Get some tooling guys in there to fight for your business. I'd talk to Seco and Sandvik for sure.

Thank you for the feedback. The tool is doing fine, I'm getting 80 to 90 parts per edge and finish is acceptable. I wanted to make sure I not overlooking a tool that might give me a little more tool life in the 304L.
I have spoken with Seco and have not found a tool with better life or be able to reduce cycle time. I will look into the Sandvik Coromill 745 that Mtndew suggested.

Thank you for the feedback. The tool is doing fine, I'm getting 80 to 90 parts per edge and finish is acceptable. I wanted to make sure I not overlooking a tool that might give me a little more tool life in the 304L.
I have spoken with Seco and have not found a tool with better life or be able to reduce cycle time. I will look into the Sandvik Coromill 745 that Mtndew suggested.

if you do the correct approach and also chamfer the edges before you face mill them you will get 30-40% expanded tool life, but you will add a little time. the chamfer along adds alot to insert live as the sharp edges really eat the inserts. that chamfer is an old nickle allot and hard metal approach we used in the past with ceramics and it makes a big difference on carbide as well.

Sandvic has on there website how to approach the part using a face mill, it made a huge difference in insert life for use on the fadals, we couldnt run them in our VF2SS as it beat the crap out of the machine. but yours is a cat 50 so you shouldnt have any issue's I was using the 245 3" sandvic facemill.

Back