What's new
What's new

Looking for a CNC lathe - Open my eyes beyond Mazak

countryboy1966

Hot Rolled
Looking for a CNC Lathe for small parts. mostly 2 axis work, but I'm open to more axis as I can definitely use more options. Machining stainless small diameter .0004" total tolerance.

Must have a bar feeder and must have a parts catcher... I.e. run lights out.

I know mazak so thats my go to, but my ideal machine isn't showing up on the used market.

Power isn't an issue.

What are your go to oems in this area that might possibly open up my potential of finding a good machine used in the $20-50K range?

Looking for a CNC Lathe for small parts. mostly 2 axis work, but I'm open to more axis as I can definitely use more options. Machining stainless small diameter .0004" total tolerance.

I know mazak so thats my go to, but my ideal machine isn't showing up on the used market.

Power isn't an issue.

What are your go to oems in this area that might possibly open up my potential of finding a good machine used in the $20-50K range?

We have 2 leadwell lathes, one live tool, one not. Both have an pneumatic parts catcher but the delay time the machine waits on the parts catcher is long, but that may be because there a little older, about 2003-2008. I believe you can equip a bar feed to them. They have taken a couple hard crashes and other than aligning the turret, they have been sturdy and powerful.

Edit: I will add that the biggest issue we had was the draw tube actuator had leaked coolant down the drain line for the hydraulic system, fogging and contaminating the fluid. We only see the issue when really blasting coolant down the draw tube. It is the stock seals that may be needing replaced. They also have tool setters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you use life tools, I suggest CAD/CAM, not neccessary but I suggest it. "Small" is relative. How much floor space do you have?

R

Sent from my brain using my fingertips.

Power isn't an issue.

Hyundai Wia
Doosan
Okuma

In that order for price/performance ratio.

You have Hyundai at the top of the list, an Okuma at the bottom. So what is this a ratio of?

R

It said it in the sentence. Price/performance.

Okuma is bar none the best machines there, but not at their cost.

There's even better machines than those three but they won't be in the persons price range of $20-50k unless they're totally clapped out or ancient. Even the Okuma will be pushing it here.

Define "small" parts. Are we talking a 6" or 8" chuck sized general purpose lathe, a smaller gang tool machine, or a swiss machine?

We have 2 leadwell lathes, one live tool, one not. Both have an pneumatic parts catcher but the delay time the machine waits on the parts catcher is long, but that may be because there a little older, about 2003-2008. I believe you can equip a bar feed to them. They have taken a couple hard crashes and other than aligning the turret, they have been sturdy and powerful.

Edit: I will add that the biggest issue we had was the draw tube actuator had leaked coolant down the drain line for the hydraulic system, fogging and contaminating the fluid. We only see the issue when really blasting coolant down the draw tube. It is the stock seals that may be needing replaced. They also have tool setters

I've seen this before.
I think that you could make up a "slinger" to bolt to, or press in, or somehow position on the back of the spindle to not allow it to creep back towards the actuator.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I've seen this before.
I think that you could make up a "slinger" to bolt to, or press in, or somehow position on the back of the spindle to not allow it to creep back towards the actuator.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Probably. Maybe a week day project for the shop

If you're really looking for 0.0004" total tolerance, I'd say your best bet would be a Hardinge Super Precision as it will probaly be the most stable throughout the day vs. anything else out there. There should be tons in your neck of the woods, and service guys to match.

Steve

If you're really looking for 0.0004" total tolerance, I'd say your best bet would be a Hardinge Super Precision as it will probaly be the most stable throughout the day vs. anything else out there. There should be tons in your neck of the woods, and service guys to match.

Steve

I don't think that. ANY CNC Lathe should hold .0004" all day. At least any decent one.

R

I don't think that. ANY CNC Lathe should hold .0004" all day. At least any decent one.

R

Yep. My 15 year old Kia happily does that, and it was not taken care of well by the previous owner. Still makes part after part exactly the same until tools start to wear out.

Back