Looking for CNC lathe - prefer new, no CAM - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 100
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    633
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    201
    Likes (Received)
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Certainly understandable .... but if you save $30,000, that's quite a few $5 parts.

    Did you say what work envelope and material yet ? I should go back and look, but lazy.
    Unless they sold it when fill in the blank was about to be needing replacement.

    Smaller stuff, but I want to have some versatility for job shopping. Nothing exotic on materials.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    273
    Likes (Received)
    739

    Default

    My neighbor (Swiss shop) is selling a newer (2016) Mazak and barfeeder that they need to move to put in another Swiss machine. Look it up on Milwaukee Craigslist and see if it will do the job.

    Here is a link.

  3. Likes Pete Deal liked this post
  4. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Se Ma USA
    Posts
    1,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    152
    Likes (Received)
    1043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    Yeah, I have issues with chip evac on the parts I want to put on a lathe. In the mill, there are in vertical orientation. New will pay for itself, just very slowly. Job shop work is a question mark, but would help. I have seen some RFQ parts, but my customers know I don't have a lathe, so it's been by mistake. I guess I'm chicken about used machines. With money, I love shopping. I'm still on to-lathe or not-to-lathe will the wife, but I think I'm going to get approved
    Dude! Easier to get forgiveness than permission.

  5. Likes CosmosK liked this post
  6. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    273
    Likes (Received)
    739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    Dude! Easier to get forgiveness than permission.
    Spoken like an unmarried man, or at least someone who isn't married to a redhead.

  7. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    952
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    267
    Likes (Received)
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    How important is live tooling? This will be my only CNC lathe. I'm sure I would use it, but I could also save a few bucks skipping it. The parts I know I'll run could have secondary ops on the mill, not a big deal although I get tired chasing a couple/few thou of concentricity. Job shop parts, who knows what it'll be. I'm a one man shop. It looks like I can afford to add live tooling but not y axis. Any advice? Thanks
    Do you have a spindle probe on your Brother? If not, going with a 2 axis lathe and putting a little of the savings toward a probe for your Brother could be a good way to go. You can nail second op work with the probe in process.
    Basic live tooling on a lathe is pretty limiting. You have already heard of the TS Takisawa that Yamazen stocks. They have sub with full C and almost 5" of Y. That is the way shops are going for increased lathe versatility. With one turret still simple to program too. Price is right due to the volume installed.

  8. Likes CosmosK liked this post
  9. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    633
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    201
    Likes (Received)
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BROTHERFRANK View Post
    Do you have a spindle probe on your Brother? If not, going with a 2 axis lathe and putting a little of the savings toward a probe for your Brother could be a good way to go. You can nail second op work with the probe in process.
    Basic live tooling on a lathe is pretty limiting. You have already heard of the TS Takisawa that Yamazen stocks. They have sub with full C and almost 5" of Y. That is the way shops are going for increased lathe versatility. With one turret still simple to program too. Price is right due to the volume installed.
    That might be the way to go. That thought had crossed my mind. They have a TS in the Dallas showroom. I'm hoping to get up there soon to see it and the TCN. I'd love to see the TS demo even though I won't be getting that model anytime soon. Thanks

  10. #67
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,709
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    616
    Likes (Received)
    1028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    My neighbor (Swiss shop) is selling a newer (2016) Mazak and barfeeder that they need to move to put in another Swiss machine. Look it up on Milwaukee Craigslist and see if it will do the job.

    Here is a link.
    This is a "Smart" model. I am pretty sure they are a bottom of the line model mazak. Compare the specs.

  11. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,348
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    752
    Likes (Received)
    569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    I wouldn't let exposed rails for the tailstock or turret X-axis worry me much, as several builders are doing that now.

    I reckon the roller-linear ways they use now are so robust, and the guideway truck seals are so good, that it's OK to leave the rails exposed....?

    ToolCat
    Doosan has exposed rails for X axis on many roller guide lathes. I never heard of a problem in the time I worked for them. They still have way wipers and lube so I don't think the machine would suffer at all.

  12. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,709
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    616
    Likes (Received)
    1028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasJRizzo View Post
    Doosan has exposed rails for X axis on many roller guide lathes. I never heard of a problem in the time I worked for them. They still have way wipers and lube so I don't think the machine would suffer at all.
    The only worry I can see is if a part actually drops onto the rail. How often does that occur?

  13. #70
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    633
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    201
    Likes (Received)
    202

    Default

    Constant dousing with coolant I'd imagine would remove the grease from the rails. Fines getting into the wipers (although maybe less of those on a lathe). Parts dropping on rails. Those are the three reasons I don't like it.

  14. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,162
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    649
    Likes (Received)
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    How important is live tooling? This will be my only CNC lathe. I'm sure I would use it, but I could also save a few bucks skipping it. The parts I know I'll run could have secondary ops on the mill, not a big deal although I get tired chasing a couple/few thou of concentricity. Job shop parts, who knows what it'll be. I'm a one man shop. It looks like I can afford to add live tooling but not y axis. Any advice? Thanks
    The below number is from a recent quote. This is before discounts. You should also ask if Titans' dicounts are still in effect.

    MAIN FEATURES



    • 20 hp high torque digital AC spindle motor
    • Large 2" bar capacity
    • High speed 6,000 rpm spindle
    • High precision pre-tensioned X-axes double nut ball screw with electric torque limiter protection
    • 12 station heavy duty servo controlled turret with 24 position indexing and (0.11 second) next station index
    • Rigid 30-degree one piece cast iron slant bed
    • Large 11.8" maximum turning diameter
    • Widely spaced, high precision roller type linear motion guideways
    • 20.0" maximum turning length
    • Fast 1,417 ipm Z axis rapid traverse
    • Full contouring C-Axis
    • Milling, drilling and rigid tapping capabilities on both main spindle and rotary tools. 3 rotating tool holders included in standard tooling package
    • 6,000 rpm, 5 hp, rotating tool spindle motor. Live tools can be mounted on all stations
    • Y-Axis turret with 4.13” (±2.065”) total travel
    • Bolt up chip conveyor design for easy access and removal of coolant tank
    • FANUC 0i-T control with swiveling operator's panel
    • Doosan EZ Guide i Conversational Programming
    • Doosan Tool Load Monitoring System


    LYNX 2100LYA with FANUC 0i-T control $111,500

  15. Likes CosmosK liked this post
  16. #72
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,709
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    616
    Likes (Received)
    1028

    Default

    I know Doosan is Korean, but where are the machines and their components built?

  17. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,162
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    649
    Likes (Received)
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    I know Doosan is Korean, but where are the machines and their components built?

    Doosan machines are built in South Korea.

  18. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    3,936
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    12797
    Likes (Received)
    4670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LockNut View Post
    Doosan machines are built in South Korea.
    Hey, so was I!

  19. Likes kenton, g-coder05, ChipSplitter liked this post
  20. #75
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,348
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    752
    Likes (Received)
    569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    The only worry I can see is if a part actually drops onto the rail. How often does that occur?
    For me, not that much. Even the few times it did happen it usually falls clear and slams the chip conveyor belt. Like I said, we never really had a problem. The lube is constantly metered, the wipers - if maintained - do their job.

    On box way lathes - most of the time the ways are exposed as well. As long as you change the wipers - and I do regularly on mine - there's no problem. Just sayin'..

  21. Likes CosmosK liked this post
  22. #76
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Posts
    825
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    9
    Likes (Received)
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LockNut View Post
    The below number is from a recent quote. This is before discounts. You should also ask if Titans' dicounts are still in effect.

    MAIN FEATURES



    • 20 hp high torque digital AC spindle motor
    • Large 2" bar capacity
    • High speed 6,000 rpm spindle
    • High precision pre-tensioned X-axes double nut ball screw with electric torque limiter protection
    • 12 station heavy duty servo controlled turret with 24 position indexing and (0.11 second) next station index
    • Rigid 30-degree one piece cast iron slant bed
    • Large 11.8" maximum turning diameter
    • Widely spaced, high precision roller type linear motion guideways
    • 20.0" maximum turning length
    • Fast 1,417 ipm Z axis rapid traverse
    • Full contouring C-Axis
    • Milling, drilling and rigid tapping capabilities on both main spindle and rotary tools. 3 rotating tool holders included in standard tooling package
    • 6,000 rpm, 5 hp, rotating tool spindle motor. Live tools can be mounted on all stations
    • Y-Axis turret with 4.13” (±2.065”) total travel
    • Bolt up chip conveyor design for easy access and removal of coolant tank
    • FANUC 0i-T control with swiveling operator's panel
    • Doosan EZ Guide i Conversational Programming
    • Doosan Tool Load Monitoring System


    LYNX 2100LYA with FANUC 0i-T control $111,500
    For very little (4%) more than that I got a quote with sub spindle. Doosan definitely came in as the most cost effective machine. With some of the best options

    I was just worried about some things like the light weight of the machine and the fact that there were no way covers on what I thought were important surfaces. I was even able to see chips were getting into the blocks as the caps the used on the linear rails were slightly recessed and small fines can get stuck in there and dragged into the block. I see this being a problem over time.

    If you never produce fine chips this will probably never be an issue.

  23. #77
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    633
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    201
    Likes (Received)
    202

    Default

    Can anyone give me advice on collet tooling? I need something. I keep seeing ads for Royal. Their accu-length system seems pretty sweet, but pricey, about 4k then 2-300 per collet. Anyone use those? Thanks

  24. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,709
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    616
    Likes (Received)
    1028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    Can anyone give me advice on collet tooling? I need something. I keep seeing ads for Royal. Their accu-length system seems pretty sweet, but pricey, about 4k then 2-300 per collet. Anyone use those? Thanks
    We use their quick change collet system. Works just like advertised.

  25. Likes CosmosK liked this post
  26. #79
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Posts
    73
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    There are several offline packages that speak Mazatrol.

  27. #80
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Posts
    2,994
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1058
    Likes (Received)
    1435

    Default

    Can anyone give me advice on collet tooling? I need something. I keep seeing ads for Royal. Their accu-length system seems pretty sweet, but pricey, about 4k then 2-300 per collet. Anyone use those? Thanks
    Definitely spend the extra money for an accu-length system no matter what the brand. I cheaped out way back and got a pullback style and the amount of parts scrapped from being too short would have paid for the accu-length many times over.

  28. Likes CosmosK liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •