What's new
What's new

Looking for a CNC'er who's also a capable Swift or Javascript developer

JetForMe

Plastic
Hi everyone! I'm working on a web service to help CNC shops of all sizes with some of the more tedious aspects of CNC. It's early prototype days, so I don't want to reveal what the service is yet, but I'm looking for help getting the prototype up and running.

My background: I'm an EECS grad and professional software developer by day. I currently write iOS apps, but have done the gamut: server, embedded, linux, etc. Several years ago I decided I wanted a CNC mill and bought a Tormach PCNC1100. Then I bought their lathe, then I built a 4'x9' CNC router based on an AvidCNC platform (with my own LinuxCNC-based controller and ClearPath servos).

I lost my job a few weeks ago due to COVID, and decided now is as good a time as any to create this service. It's an idea I've had ever since the fist few weeks using the PCNC1100, and I think it will help us all a lot.

I'm looking for someone who's passionate about CNC and software development, and would be interested in helping out in these early days. It would be for equity, as I barely have enough money to pay rent for the duration of this effort.

It's such a niche, but surely there's someone else out there like me (experienced software developer with substantial passion for and experience with CNC)? Hard to know how to find them, though. Figured posting here might help.

Thanks!

Since it's a web service, it sounds like another quoting / RFQ platform. Why do you need to hire someone to code this if you already have the skills, and a lot of free time now?

Also just a heads up, the whole thing about paying for app development with equity instead of actual money is a long running joke among programmers; everyone and their grandma has a great idea for a revolutionary new app, but doesn't want to pay to make the actual code base for it. I'm also developing CNC software but I interviewed the programmer applicant in person, explained exactly what our software is intended to do and a roadmap to get there, and most importantly; I hired him with a salary. Programmers in California can get a job at any number of startups or huge established tech companies in the bay area that pay well over $100,000 annually, so you must convince them the equity you offer will be the equivalent of more than 60 dollars per hour for the duration of the software development.

I have the skills. I'm doing a lot of it. There's just a lot of work.

And I'm a professional career software developer. I've worked for companies big and small. Many tech companies start with a prototype that someone built for free.

And no, it's not a quoting system. This does not exist.

This is why I'm looking for someone like me, a professional developer who does CNC on the side. If they're not interested, that's fine.

I work mainly in C++ but am competent in JS, and swift to a lesser extent. I studied computer science but made a career in manufacturing.

Unless it's going to set the world on fire, I don't have room for another project.

There are a good number of others that have a similar background to me, but I suspect that anyone else you find that is suitably qualified will be in the same boat. We tend to be gainfully employed and busy.

It may be my lack of imagination, but I'm having a hard time thinking of possibilities of what you might be working on. There is not much space left for something actually new, which leads me to worry that you may be unwittingly reinventing the wheel, iterating on something that already exists, or working on something that is straight up not useful. Add to the mix, that most professionals working in this industry have pretty much had their fill of connected services, subscriptions, "cloud" software et. al. and most are bound to some extent in terms of what they can share of their work. There is a huge divide between the hobby/open source/crowd sourcing/repository using demographic and those actually working professionally in this industry, and it's not always by choice.

I don't mean to seem overly negative, but be aware of the hurdles you will face. You can private message me if you want to discuss any of this less publically.

Enough that the guy everyone thinks is a scammer (I make no judgement on GD, but others have) is telling the guy not to be a scammer...

Projection … (or more correctly projective identification.).

One of the more common "Red flags" , but takes all sorts to make a "World" I guess.

I work mainly in C++ but am competent in JS, and swift to a lesser extent. I studied computer science but made a career in manufacturing.

Unless it's going to set the world on fire, I don't have room for another project.

There are a good number of others that have a similar background to me, but I suspect that anyone else you find that is suitably qualified will be in the same boat. We tend to be gainfully employed and busy.

It may be my lack of imagination, but I'm having a hard time thinking of possibilities of what you might be working on. There is not much space left for something actually new, which leads me to worry that you may be unwittingly reinventing the wheel, iterating on something that already exists, or working on something that is straight up not useful. Add to the mix, that most professionals working in this industry have pretty much had their fill of connected services, subscriptions, "cloud" software et. al. and most are bound to some extent in terms of what they can share of their work. There is a huge divide between the hobby/open source/crowd sourcing/repository using demographic and those actually working professionally in this industry, and it's not always by choice.

I don't mean to seem overly negative, but be aware of the hurdles you will face. You can private message me if you want to discuss any of this less publically.

@gregormarkick that's cool to know about your background, that's a nice "Share".

@OP / JetforMe nobody is going to commit time to a 'Pig in a poke" unknown project. Either for pay or you have to spill the beans - some of them at least.

C / C++ , OpenGL and a bunch of toolkits of one sort or another graphics, CAD, VR and other 'Info graphics" /3d and 3d machine vision systems + associated mathematics.

I have to admit 'Java" does not inspire confidence for "Industrial strength" I know HAAS use a lot of that for their control.

I understand someone might pinch your idea , but on the other hand the 'Peeps" here are very knowledgeable as to what has been done before and at what price points. [Market space is just as important as developing something , new , cool and potentially useful.].

You could "Puke " some of it up and then delete posts later...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

* Well done PM forum for not being a d*ck straight out of the box for OP's inquiry ! (Baby steps, baby steps... ).

Empty your inbox Teach.

Who do we suspect is a scammer? I'm cornfused. :)

R

Generic Default, the guy behind the swissmak debacle, which for reasons that I can only put down to morbid curiosity appears to be of great interest to this forum.

FWIW, I don't think he's a scammer, but I do think he suffers from an inability to recognise and accept culpability, aka the stereotypical millenial.

Since it's a web service, it sounds like another quoting / RFQ platform. Why do you need to hire someone to code this if you already have the skills, and a lot of free time now?

Also just a heads up, the whole thing about paying for app development with equity instead of actual money is a long running joke among programmers; everyone and their grandma has a great idea for a revolutionary new app, but doesn't want to pay to make the actual code base for it. I'm also developing CNC software but I interviewed the programmer applicant in person, explained exactly what our software is intended to do and a roadmap to get there, and most importantly; I hired him with a salary. Programmers in California can get a job at any number of startups or huge established tech companies in the bay area that pay well over $100,000 annually, so you must convince them the equity you offer will be the equivalent of more than 60 dollars per hour for the duration of the software development.

Now actually having read this , this was not a bad post , but still kind of an advertisement to GD scoring a block of cash and scaling up - OT.

<just to pull focus> + Edits + added text.

1. I'm working on a web service,

2. ~ to help CNC shops of all sizes,

3. Focusses on resolving - some of the more tedious aspects of CNC.

<snip>
<snip>

[Context] --->

Several years ago I decided I wanted a CNC mill and bought a Tormach PCNC1100.
Then I bought their lathe, then I built a 4'x9' CNC router based on an AvidCNC platform (with my own LinuxCNC-based controller and ClearPath servos).
<snip>

It's an idea I've had ever since the fist few weeks using the PCNC1100, and I think it will help us all a lot. [Emphasis added.].

<snip>

4. It's <snip> a niche application. ,

Thanks!

Just wanted to distill the application end and technical history here ^^^.

NYC CNC guy - Mr. Saunders is doing some kind of database for speeds and feeds for detailed types of materials and specific tools and specific machines … Can't remember what it's called. (online thingymajig.).

JetForMe,

Feel free to get in touch. I am a former software developer (mostly data driven web apps on the backend/server side) and I got into electronics about 15+ years ago, then got into machining for making my own products, and over the past several years have been mostly doing automation work in the CNC space and working on integrating technology into existing shop workflows. I'm not a competitor to you, I am short on free time but I do have some resources that might be helpful depending on what you're trying to do (i.e. contacts with large/successful shops that are pushing the edge of technology in machining), and I know the software side quite well as I still do embedded C development in my line of work.

Back