What's new
What's new

Looking for "Counter Bore Gauge"

cbelott

Plastic
Hey guys, I used these awesome gauges for measuring counterbore dia's at an old shop but I do not know what the actual name of that type of gauge is called and haven't had much luck searching online for them either. They were very similar to a regular bore gauge other than the gauge had two extra points of contact and the bottom of it was completely flat to sit in a counterbore. They came with these flat extensions for different sizes that had teeth on one side and then there was a pin and a spring that got screwed in that held the extensions flat to the bottom. Would then set the gauge using a micrometer set up on Gauge blocks to whatever diameter you were looking for. If you were to look at this gauge from a top view it would looks something similar to this --E With the middle stem of the E being the part associated with the dial at the top of the gauge and the other two parts of the E are the other two points of contact used to center it in the counter bore. If anyone knows what these might be called or has any idea what i'm trying to explain I would greatly appreciate it. I'm looking to get some ordered at the new shop that I'm at and nobody here has ever heard or seen of them.

Don't follow the explanation myself but I'd imagine the gauge measures concentricity between bore an counterbore. Dunno if it does bore and counterbore sizes as well. Never used a gauge measuring concentricity in that manner but was told that such things were made.

Clive

Hey guys, I used these awesome gauges for measuring counterbore dia's at an old shop but I do not know what the actual name of that type of gauge is called and haven't had much luck searching online for them either. They were very similar to a regular bore gauge other than the gauge had two extra points of contact and the bottom of it was completely flat to sit in a counterbore. They came with these flat extensions for different sizes that had teeth on one side and then there was a pin and a spring that got screwed in that held the extensions flat to the bottom. Would then set the gauge using a micrometer set up on Gauge blocks to whatever diameter you were looking for. If you were to look at this gauge from a top view it would looks something similar to this --E With the middle stem of the E being the part associated with the dial at the top of the gauge and the other two parts of the E are the other two points of contact used to center it in the counter bore. If anyone knows what these might be called or has any idea what i'm trying to explain I would greatly appreciate it. I'm looking to get some ordered at the new shop that I'm at and nobody here has ever heard or seen of them.

Try contacting Dorsey Metrology or Dow Gage, both in the USA.

From the description (with the --E shape) it sounds like a standard dial bore gauge, instead of an inside micrometer, tri-mic, or telescoping gauge.Dial Bore Gauge.jpg

Obviously the fact you can't get a bore gauge into a cbore that is only .25 deep.

Depends on what accessories it has in its kit. Check Dow Gage page on 'specials'.

Dorsey had a similar history, just doesn't show as much on their web page. There were many others at one time.

No shortage of industrial needs for bespoke gages to make any conceivable form of measuring faster and easier, their costs rapidly paid-back in time saved and scrap avoided.

They sound like standard 3 point bore gages, but with a different position of anvils. I have seen what you are referring too, and will find a pic.

Mitutoyo, Series 545 dial bore gage. It has the 3 fingers on 1 side, and the measuring finger opposite.
Link --> http://www.shop.yourtoolingstore.com/images/MitutoyoDialBoreGage545134.jpg

I happen to prefer the digital, 3 point gages myself. They typically come with a calibration ring, case, and an extension.
They will also measure within .05" of the bottom of a flat bottomed hole.
Link --> http://www.swissprec.com/ProductImages/7683292-23.jpg

Doug.

i use shallow bore gage. pins come in different lengths
we use 3 lengths of shallow bore gage as the long one is a foot long and awkward for small stuff

Attachments

• ShallowBoreGage_1.jpg
    ShallowBoreGage_1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 164
  • ShallowBoreGage_2.jpg
    ShallowBoreGage_2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 157
Obviously the fact you can't get a bore gauge into a cbore that is only .25 deep.

Oh, hey, you're new here... Sarcasm towards one of the more respected members here is definitely the best way to get people to give you help. Definitely.

Although looking for a set that has more range with unterchangeable pieces to go from say 2 inches up to 12 or so

Back