What's new
What's new

looking for a good parting tool for 304ss 3mm width

SDConcepts

Stainless
we were using widia cut offs for our smaller machines, they have now discontinued the holders we were using. we do a lot of stainless work in 300 series stainless, I like the widia inserts as they were single sided inserts and were positively clamped with a screw. I've never had good luck with the wedge style holders. every tool rep we bring in brings their flavor of the month, I've had everything suggested from Kyocera to Mitsubishi to iscar.

looking for some real world experiences. thanks

We've had Widia/Manchester part off holders in our lathes since before I started working here 12 years ago. We have really good luck with them. They consist of the holder, a removable support blade and removable clamp type system. That way when you wreck you change the support blade, clamp and insert and go back to work without having to replace the entire holder.

And yes, we do a LOT of stainless. If you like I can get you part numbers.

~aj

We've had Widia/Manchester part off holders in our lathes since before I started working here 12 years ago. We have really good luck with them. They consist of the holder, a removable support blade and removable clamp type system. That way when you wreck you change the support blade, clamp and insert and go back to work without having to replace the entire holder.

And yes, we do a LOT of stainless. If you like I can get you part numbers.

~aj

We use the same almost exclusively. Just makes sense for us.

OP, how small are your smaller machines? Are we talking down into swiss territory or at least 3/4 inch stick tools?

I will take the part numbers. curious if they are available or being discontinued. we've had great luck with them would hate to switch to someone else.

smaller machines are 1 5/8 spindle bore and yes 3/4 stick, we do also have a couple swiss machines that need 1/2 stick tooling but those use .087 inserts.

How deep is it going?

I use Sandvik, been quite happy with it but they have good local support and good pricing usually. Others are harder to deal with.

Almost all of ours are part number 206-118 for the left hand holder with a 3/4" square shank, 310-109 for the support blade, and 435-151 for the clamp. Inserts we use for just about everything are 507330, M433B grade. These are 3/32" wide though. Don't know if that's a deal breaker or not. Your tool salesman can probably help you a bit more.

We have had great performance with Kennametal Beyond Evolution, using the KCU25 grade. Run on production cutting off 2" diameter. I would flood as well as try to get one with through-coolant, and we find that pecking (G75 on a Haas) helps a ton with not knocking coolant lines off.

For just parting and radial grooving we use the walter wedge style blades with thru coolant on the upper portion of the wedge. Getting that constant stream of coolant on the insert is a life saver for deep grooving in super alloys.

I use the old skewl Manchester's as well, and have for prolly 25 years.
Those are now sold under the Widia flag, but they sound different than the Widia's that you described.

Ours use the blade and clamp like was mentioned above. No screw through the insert.
???

Widia may be replacing the old Manchester Separator line too?
I believe that one of the tools that I have used for years is up for replacement, but right now I'm not sure which?

I use this same basic type from Swiss up to 3" bar sizes.
They offer MANY different inserts to find what werks best for your app.
I would call Widia sales group and ask if they are replacing the Separator line or not before I bought into it.

Maybe check holder #206-178 and go from there.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Sandvik 1125 grade has given us the best tool life for grooving and parting. You can use the... crap 1025 grade I think if you can run more SFM. We run these on our Swiss and fixed headstock lathes in 304 and 416 stainless. Anywhere from 400-850sfm so you can run them plenty fast.

We use the 2mm or 3mm depending on machine.

The place I was at used SECO Lcmf(?) styles almost exclusively, we tried a Kennametal but it simply wouldn't work for more than 1/8 deep. I had gotten an Iscar blade style with insert that worked about as good. All 300 stainless work, coolant nozzle direction helped quite a bit rather than just splashing it over the part.

I recently bought a PH Horn U210 parting tool with the changeable end cassette. It has been very good so far. I now have a few PH Horn groove tools. "Shop supply guru" (poster here) sells them and they support them well. When I started looking for groove tools I looked at some of the stuff suggested here, probably from a different post though, and I can't see how most of these tooling companies sell anything considering how horrible their documentation is. PH Horn is very clear.

https://www.hornusa.com/fileadmin/u...TECH100US_11.2011_ChapterG_System-229-259.pdf

Iscar makes some killer grooving and cut off. Their Tang style inserts work really well in SS it's a very rigid set up. Why not get some samples in from the manufacturers and run some tests?

I was also going to suggest the TAG from Iscar like BBne said. The advantage is the dog leg style insert so it cannot pull out.

Look out for a promo on inserts and get the blade for free... YOu could also look into the 4 edged blade, But I am not sure if they make blocks for 3/4" machines that will take the wider blade.

Back