What's new
What's new

Looking to hire someone for training on a DMG DMU 50

shocwav3

Plastic
We recently purchased a 2005 DMU 50 with a Millplus IT controller.

It will be delivered this coming Monday and after speaking with DMG Mori service, I can not justify the cost quoted just to come set up the machine.

We will get it powered up and ready to run, but I would really like to have some training on the controller before diving in. Anyone that is knowledgeable with this controller and specifically with a DMU 50 please feel free to contact me. We are located in Clifton NJ 07013.

Either in person or online/phone, we are more than happy to compensate for your time and travel.

Thanks in advance
Anthony

when you say.... we are more than happy to compensate for your time and travel.

and then above we have read....

I can not justify the cost quoted just to come set up the machine.

theres a tiny red flag going off...just an FYI

why is there a red flag? i dont see one.

BTW have you ever got a quote from any of the big guys to set up a used machine?

many a cnc has tricks to use. that is without certain training you might find the machine only good for a big paper weight or as a boat anchor.
not sure what they charge for setup but many places aint going to send anybody unless it is like $500 just to show up then they might charge $100/hr

It shouldn't be. We bought a used machine built by a swiss company, and the manufacturer wanted $12,000 for applications training. My tool salesman set me up with a guy who ran a similar machine at another shop an hour away. I gave him $500 cash to spend a few hours on a Saturday showing us basics, and haven't needed much help since.

its a cnc machine ... it uses xyz.. it has feed settings., and over rides.

not much more to it than that.

read the books. if you dont have the books. buy them

It shouldn't be. We bought a used machine built by a swiss company, and the manufacturer wanted $12,000 for applications training. My tool salesman set me up with a guy who ran a similar machine at another shop an hour away. I gave him $500 cash to spend a few hours on a Saturday showing us basics, and haven't needed much help since.

some people buy new cnc machine at the factory and take training at the factory. and they might collect names of employees at the factory and offer them a job at higher pay of course.
like if you buy $1,000,000 cnc whats paying somebody a extra $20,000 a year especially if their expertise easily makes more than the $20,000 extra pay.

why is there a red flag? i dont see one.

BTW have you ever got a quote from any of the big guys to set up a used machine?

well if I was interested....I see that your tighter than 11 coats of paint (no offense)if you don't want to pay for them to set it up properly and toot sweet...and that translates to I might not get compensated as you say or to a liking since setup (the 1st step) is already out of your league

flaggy enough explaination...might want to edit that

We recently purchased a 2005 DMU 50 with a Millplus IT controller.

It will be delivered this coming Monday and after speaking with DMG Mori service, I can not justify the cost quoted just to come set up the machine.

We will get it powered up and ready to run, but I would really like to have some training on the controller before diving in. Anyone that is knowledgeable with this controller and specifically with a DMU 50 please feel free to contact me. We are located in Clifton NJ 07013.

Either in person or online/phone, we are more than happy to compensate for your time and travel.

Thanks in advance
Anthony

DMG is probably throwing out numbners in the XX,XXX range because there is probably very few people left at their company who know how to use that controller :(

that's not so old...and is the controller is a Heidenhain CNC iTNC 530...so theres many HOW TO ON YOUTUBE...or is your a siemens?

Cut the guy some slack. He doesn't feel it is worthwhile to spend a huge chunk of change on DMG training. He is simply asking if a local is willing to spend some time with him to get him up to speed.

If you don't trust he'll pay, charge half or full up front. Problem solved.

Ive had a 99 DMU50V with millplus V4.00 for about 2 years. Completely trouble free so far. If you need to know how to add the HR410 handwheel option, I can tell you the details. I had a Maho 4 ax MH600c previous to this with 432 control. The Millplus is an evolution of that control. Many similarities.

Very easy to use. Its been a good 5ax starter machine for me. FYI if you get HSM the Millplus post in their post library works pretty well right off the bat. Ive got an older millplus control so I have to make some edits but not too scary.

DMG will answer pretty much any question re software/hardware over the phone for free. Takes them a while to find the right person on the older machines.

Maybe I should have been a bit more clear here. Service quoted me 3 days just to set this machine up. after I wire and bolt it down...I was hoping if I am paying 145.00/hr for 3 days it would at least come with some training. Does 3 days seems reasonable just for an install to you?

DMG is probably throwing out numbners in the XX,XXX range because there is probably very few people left at their company who know how to use that controller :(

Funny thing is, the guy they plan to send out mans the other end of the phone when you call their free support line for the controller.

its a cnc machine ... it uses xyz.. it has feed settings., and over rides.

not much more to it than that.

read the books. if you dont have the books. buy them

I get that, to an extent. I was really looking for jump start on the controller, and maybe some parameters/settings to be aware of since this is my first 5 axis machine. I have work lined up for it and prefer to hit the ground running.

Ive had a 99 DMU50V with millplus V4.00 for about 2 years. Completely trouble free so far. If you need to know how to add the HR410 handwheel option, I can tell you the details. I had a Maho 4 ax MH600c previous to this with 432 control. The Millplus is an evolution of that control. Many similarities.

Very easy to use. Its been a good 5ax starter machine for me. FYI if you get HSM the Millplus post in their post library works pretty well right off the bat. Ive got an older millplus control so I have to make some edits but not too scary.

DMG will answer pretty much any question re software/hardware over the phone for free. Takes them a while to find the right person on the older machines.

Good to hear. I am running HSM, so that is good news as well. I read someone's review that they had to adjust the kinematic model on a used machine, is that something you have experienced? Seems like something that shouldn't need user input, but I guess things get out of wack..

My machine didnt have the kinematic model setup as the previous owner was using a surfcam post that did not have any 5 axis calls (theres really only G7 tilted planes on Millplus V 4.00 software). I did have the original commisioning paperwork. I carefully measured the points in that paperwork, found that my machine was still spot on so I just used that info and entered it into the 600 constants.

You can also use that info to set G54 XY from the reference point on the machine, as most times youll be using X0 Y0 anyway. Also, if you are using G7, you need to use the gage line of the spindle as the reference point for setting Z. I have the pages from the service manual for entering the kinematic model.

My machine didnt have the kinematic model setup as the previous owner was using a surfcam post that did not have any 5 axis calls (theres really only G7 tilted planes on Millplus V 4.00 software). I did have the original commisioning paperwork. I carefully measured the points in that paperwork, found that my machine was still spot on so I just used that info and entered it into the 600 constants.

You can also use that info to set G54 XY from the reference point on the machine, as most times youll be using X0 Y0 anyway. Also, if you are using G7, you need to use the gage line of the spindle as the reference point for setting Z. I have the pages from the service manual for entering the kinematic model.

Thanks very much for the insight. I will let you know how I make out with it.

@shocwav3,

I've researched the dmu50 very carefully and for an old machine, you'll need someone who has experience with maintaining it. It's a very good machine.
I've got two points that could be of help to you.
1. Go to GRABCAD which has a complete cad model of the dmu50. Get that, and use it in your cad to make sure you're clear of trouble. You may have to check it against your machine. If your cam has that capability you can use that model to do automatic collision detection.
2. Try out fusion360, it's got posts out of the bat for your machine, in addition it has some good 4+1 strategies. A good point to start.
3. Put some media, photographs, videos etc on your machine.

All the best,
Naresh

NASHERO

Sent from my SM-T825 using Tapatalk

Back