What's new
What's new

Looking for a knee type cnc

stealthshooter

Plastic
Hey all

I'm looking for an older bridgeport style cnc.im wondering what operating systems to stay away from and which ones are the easiest to use with programming from cad/cam? I also want one that still allows manual work. Its going to be an older one I know as I only have around 3k to spend.

Thanks

Find a Hurco KMB1 with a BX control. They are conversational and you can run G code from a Cam system. Several aftermarket sources for control boards as well.

You might be lucky to find a decent manual mill for 3K.
Save a little more and go for a bed mill w cnc.
FWIW once you have cnc you will never touch those handles again.

$3k is going to be tough, a good manual mill will go for that.

I like my Anilam Cnc knee mill, there are lots out there, but parts are getting harder to find.

Lots of people seem to like Protrak on Bridgeport’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

...Earlier versions with Heidenhain controllers were Interacts with TNC 131, and TNC 145 controllers, both of I understand can download programs. The 2500 and 145 will also drip-feed....

As will TNC150, 151, 355 etc.

Interact 2 machines have a larger machining envelope, also a lot more weight and slower rapids. Interact 1 prob easier to find, too.

Avoid Bridgeports with Boss controls of that era.

FWIW, my Interact 2, TNC 151 will be for sale soon, but not for 3K....

If you have the ability to retro fit this machine, check if the iron is good (ways, etc) and the spindle, etc. Does it have ball screws? If the iron is good, and you feel you can do the retro fit, go for it. Price isn't bad, if the machine is good. Don't plan on getting any use out of that control tho.

If you have the ability to retro fit this machine, check if the iron is good (ways, etc) and the spindle, etc. Does it have ball screws? If the iron is good, and you feel you can do the retro fit, go for it. Price isn't bad, if the machine is good. Don't plan on getting any use out of that control tho.

The mill is a friend of mines. He just had a guy come in and got everything running. He is using it as we speak. Why would it not be any good?

If the mill itself is good it’s worth it, but even if the control works now, I wouldn’t count on it lasting. My control is a 20-25yr newer, and I’m still waiting for it to crap out, The control of the mill that you are looking at came out in 1979

If the mill itself is good it’s worth it, but even if the control works now, I wouldn’t count on it lasting. My control is a 20-25yr newer, and I’m still waiting for it to crap out, The control of the mill that you are looking at came out in 1979

What would you suggest I replace it with? How much would it cost if I used the existing motors and put a mach 3/4 system on it?

I picked up two Bridgeport boss mills for $500 a few years back. Neither had working controls. On one of them I swapped in a manual head and added handles and table locks, the other was retrofitted to Mach3.

Honestly I rarely use the cnc one. The small quill travel is a huge aggravation. Programming it sucks, I use fusion 360 and don’t like it. If I have something that I can’t make on the manual mill I cam it at work with the hsm plugin for solid works. I almost avoid using it. I also hate the kwikswitch tooling.

I picked up two Bridgeport boss mills for $500 a few years back. Neither had working controls. On one of them I swapped in a manual head and added handles and table locks, the other was retrofitted to Mach3.

Honestly I rarely use the cnc one. The small quill travel is a huge aggravation. Programming it sucks, I use fusion 360 and don’t like it. If I have something that I can’t make on the manual mill I cam it at work with the hsm plugin for solid works. I almost avoid using it. I also hate the kwikswitch tooling.

So does that mean your looking to get rid of the cnc mill cheap? Lol

Back