Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    He wants cheap....really cheap, but not chinese cheap....
    SHE wants cheap, but in LA. Nothing's cheap in LA, except the Hookers and the Crack.

R

2. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    SHE wants cheap, but in LA. Nothing's cheap in LA, except the Hookers and the Crack.

R
    Nahhh they're not cheap either.

Everything in LA is 'Bait and switch" (I was there recently and forgot how bad that paradigm is, I used to live there).

Frustrating... Requires waaaay more dollar to get what you really want, just ask Hugh Grant :-D

Maybe that's what OP is experiencing.

Like the Go AWAY RFQ response... "I don't want to do this but if you insist that I should do this for you then this is the price I will do it for … " (kind of price).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post

R
    To be honest I'm not sure what OP gender identifies as … So I did't want to go there .

Just cuz someone says they are not a man does not automatically mean that someone is or identifies as being a woman...

Complicated times we live in.

5. Likes litlerob1 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    You should be able to. I fit most of your points, except for being interested in your parts. Don't know what they are, even so much as, bigger, or smaller, than a breadbox (a clue as to my generation).

As a retired guy that happens to have a shop behind the house, I have flexibility in what work I do and what I charge. Beside my own tiny "product line", I only do work for folks with unique needs in machined parts that appeal to me. If someone asks me to quote 50 of some mundane widget, I'll point them to other shops where folks are looking to make money.
    What if it IS a breadbox...

I'm thinking if we can't outsource from one state in the union to another then how are these folks outsourcing stuff to other countries where language, bribes and territories present significant challenges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by minhollywood View Post
    I've worked in manufacturing and have experience working with shops in the past. When I moved to LA specifically I was shell shocked at the quotes I would get. In New England I guess I had a network that was reasonable.

Ha ha! Welcome to Kalifornia!

I has my own machining business in this state for 38 years Especially in the past 10-15 years, I would often see quotes from shops in the midwest for a completed part that would barely cover just the overhead on those parts for me to open the shop door.

The businesses that seem to do well in this state are the ones that have found a "niche" (most likely through a *lot* of hard work over the years). Straight job shop work?... I'd start looking out of state.

PM

minhollywood Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    To be honest I'm not sure what OP gender identifies as … So I did't want to go there .

Just cuz someone says they are not a man does not automatically mean that someone is or identifies as being a woman...

Complicated times we live in.
    yaya... i'm not that complicated. I'm a woman. But thank you for being sensitive to these things.

9. Likes Bobw liked this post
    minhollywood Guest

I appreciate everyone who contributed and the PM's I've gotten should get me started :-)