What's new
What's new

Looking for a new Carbide tipped drill...................

david n

Diamond
I've been runnin Kentips for a long time................now 'o course they are phasing them out and goin' to the Kentip FS series...............I've seen mixed reviews on 'em. What else can I look at? Mostly low to medium steel..................no stainless really. Or will the Kentips remain available just some one's else brand?

Do you like your Kennametal rep.? Do you have another rep. that works for you more/better? I think KenTip and KTFS both have the same swirl tip to them so if the old one works the new one will likely work the same or better. The margin is longer on KTFS.

Lathe or Mill? What size?

Do you have many retips? If so I can regrind them and probably get close to new quality. We do it all the time for Iscar, Sumitomo etc.

For twist on tips Iscar is a good line & Walter believe it or not has a nice line. If you do long chipping materials the Walter is nice. If you do long reach stuff or a big variety Iscar is probably my go to.

Actually, I am pretty happy with Allied Gen 3 Sys, and the holders are a lot cheaper than the same Iscar, in the larger sizes that I have compered anyhow.
(doo to sticker shock on the Iscar's - like a >1" 8x drill)

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I’ve had good luck with Iscar SumoCham, but can’t really say how it compares to others. Coolant-thu the tool is essentially a “must.”

Most of what I run are Iscar's, and I don't have a problem with them either, just that they cost more.

But another thing - Allied is Yankee!
I just rolled past their shop on a "Roadtrip Sunday" a cpl weeks ago.
I hate sending $ off shore!

Well looky there, an "America" shirt to boot! (not the music group this time)

106797380_10220526897219725_3250463267557060853_n.jpg

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Most of what I run are Iscar's, and I don't have a problem with them either, just that they cost more.

But another thing - Allied is Yankee!
I just rolled past their shop on a "Roadtrip Sunday" a cpl weeks ago.
I hate sending $ off shore!

Well looky there, an "America" shirt to boot! (not the music group this time)

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Allied stuff is rock-solid IME. They're good but not blow-you-away good. And I don't love the screws used for changing tips, either.

I have had very good success with both Iscar and Kennametal's Kentip FS. (Yes, they're not made in the US..........but Israel and Germany are second best. ;) )

They will both push a 1/2" drill in steel at .013 IPR without complaining. I've even gone .02 IPR with the Kenna.........:eek:

I mostly use Tungaloy DrillMeister these days. They are maybe the same as iscar (they look the same, and both are part of the same group), but I haven't ever checked.

I use some Sandvik 870 drills and they are fantastic performers, but not cost effective against Tungaloy.

Allied stuff is rock-solid IME. They're good but not blow-you-away good. And I don't love the screws used for changing tips, either.

I have had very good success with both Iscar and Kennametal's Kentip FS. (Yes, they're not made in the US..........but Israel and Germany are second best. ;) )

They will both push a 1/2" drill in steel at .013 IPR without complaining. I've even gone .02 IPR with the Kenna.........:eek:

[Been many years now, but] I tried pushing the F on the Iscar in SS and as soon as I got a smidge over max reccommended, the insert chipped, and while it still drilled fine, all I got was razer wire after that! I'm gunna guess that I tried that 2wice, and failed both times, and decided not to push them beyond rec. Those inserts are too $alty to play that game too many times.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I don't like the looks of those little screws either.....................had some Guhring drills with little screws and dint care for that...........................and what's the difference between the Gen3SYS XT and the XT Pro?

I've been runnin Kentips for a long time................now 'o course they are phasing them out and goin' to the Kentip FS series...............I've seen mixed reviews on 'em. What else can I look at? Mostly low to medium steel..................no stainless really. Or will the Kentips remain available just some one's else brand?

Gold-Twist

take a look at the line of drills.

I mostly use Tungaloy DrillMeister these days. They are maybe the same as iscar (they look the same, and both are part of the same group), but I haven't ever checked.

I use some Sandvik 870 drills and they are fantastic performers, but not cost effective against Tungaloy.

Tungaloy tips will only work on their drill bodies, they are not interchangeable due to the thickness of the tips

So ya search a Kenna number and you get Widia part number too................Kenna owns Widia..................so..............ya think they will still be around, just not sold in a Kenna box?

So ya search a Kenna number and you get Widia part number too................Kenna owns Widia..................so..............ya think they will still be around, just not sold in a Kenna box?

Sounds like our Manchester shtuff....

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I tried Kentip FS last year in mild steel with terrible results. Finally burned up the drill and switched to Sandvik 870 and its unbelievably better. Less load on spindle and much less on Z axis, WAY more reliable, way more life per insert and never any issue with an insert chipping early. Cost per hole was way better with sandvik. Will never mess with Kennametal drills ever again.

[Been many years now, but] I tried pushing the F on the Iscar in SS and as soon as I got a smidge over max reccommended, the insert chipped, and while it still drilled fine, all I got was razer wire after that! I'm gunna guess that I tried that 2wice, and failed both times, and decided not to push them beyond rec. Those inserts are too $alty to play that game too many times.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Between catastrophic failure on the inserts and the drill body itself getting whopped out from 8 insert changes, that's why I don't like the Iscar line.

Money being no object, the lines Allied has are my favorite. Yeah, the screws suck, but the integrity of the body holds up longer than the Sumocham stuff, in my experience.

I say it all the time though, the promos Mitsubishi runs on their drill and mill lines though...can't be beat. Their stuff seems absolutely solid if you run it right and the buy [X] inserts, get the body for "free" business is where it's at cost-wise.

Back