What's new
What's new

Looking for recommendation on small HSM milling machine

leeko

Stainless
Hi all,

I'm seeking advice on a new 3-axis CNC mill for my lab. Our requirements are as follows:

- small work envelope - largest workpiece will be 6" x 6" x 2", most will be significantly smaller than that
- high rpm spindle up to 50,000rpm
- we will mostly be using endmills around 1/16"
- good feed speeds/acceleration
- flood coolant capable
- materials we will work with include plastics, wood, bone, aluminium. We may do an occasional piece in steel, but infrequent and not a dealbreaker
- ATC not a primary need
- price <$25,000 if possible. I don't know how reasonable that is.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Lee

- materials we will work with include plastics, wood, bone, aluminium.

Whaaa..... :scratchchin:

On topic again.
I was going to suggest Brother until I saw your price limit.
IMO you'll have a hard time finding a good machine for your price unless its a router.

I'm not averse to the idea of a router, but I'm not aware of any small work envelope, rapid feed routers with a 50,000rpm spindle. Our tolerances don't need to be super tight.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The Haas Compact Mill (formerly the Office Mill) is pretty much designed for your use case. If this is an academic lab, Haas has some very good pricing for educational institutions.

Thanks, I'll take a look at their edu pricing. I had looked at it briefly, but it seemed too far out of my budget so I didn't spend much time on it

Thanks again

Lee

Sounds like you need to find a used office/compact mill.
We looked for one a while back ... they were pretty rare, and the sellers knew what they had. It's still a possibility but don't hold your breath on that.

We found one other similar one, I think it was a Fidia ? Then the next jump up is - are you sitting down ? about 120 grand ? or more ? Yikes.

Hi all,

I'm seeking advice on a new 3-axis CNC mill for my lab. Our requirements are as follows:

- small work envelope - largest workpiece will be 6" x 6" x 2", most will be significantly smaller than that
- high rpm spindle up to 50,000rpm
- we will mostly be using endmills around 1/16"
- good feed speeds/acceleration
- flood coolant capable
- materials we will work with include plastics, wood, bone, aluminium. We may do an occasional piece in steel, but infrequent and not a dealbreaker
- ATC not a primary need
- price <$25,000 if possible. I don't know how reasonable that is.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Lee

have you thought about your run of the mill small machine with a spindle speeder to get the rpms you want?

Thanks everyone

If I was buying for me, I'd definitely be looking at the used market. Unfortunately, it will be getting purchased with grant money which limits the purchase options somewhat.
I've looked into the Syil machines before, and they might do most of what I need. I've read some negative comments about their customer support, but they all seem to be from several years back. Anyone have more recent experience with them? Also, on the website, a 24k rpm spindle is the highest offered with the x5.
A spindle speeder looks like a great option - that may well be the route we need to go.

Thanks again!

Lee

Back