What's new
What's new

Looking for a sharp Diamond Insert

Aeronautic12

Plastic
Hello,

I want to turn a face profile on a stock with many small grooves. I will be using a 35 degree diamond insert.

The insert should have a maximum nose radius of 0.004. The sharper the better.

Any suggestions on where to find an insert like this?

Thanks.

There is a real practical limit here and it is above .004.
And in a "V" (35) it is the worse case. :wall:
I can make you a tool 2-4 micron level sharp corner in a V if you have the money.
It will not be that once it starts cutting metal unless you are doing baby cuts and micro-maching.
If you have to hold such you do semi-finish cuts and followed by careful low stock removal finish using two tools.
PCD/CBN can and will hold sharper corners for a bit longer.
This is a very fragile tip and handing is important.
0 radii are .006 in pressed carbide tools, less in ground ICs but....

The good lord invented undercuts or chamfers on the mate for a reason. Seems you want to overrule him.
All fine if you need to be under .004. You will buy carbide inserts like mad and like Doritos... eat um up, we will make more.

The real world is not the same as the CAD world.
I get that you have a problem to solve but you are asking a lot out of your tooling.
Bob
(all that BS noise in my answer but a big hey to your post 1 which should be celebrated. Welcome here with big arms and poke often)

Welcome aboard Aero - you don't have to be mad to come here but it helps :D

First off, what material are you wanting to machine? ..diamonds have a limited application.

First off, what material are you wanting to machine? ..diamonds have a limited application.

Yes mad men come here often, Myself, I sort of like that name.
35 degree diamonds in carbide or "real" PCD/Diamonds.
Canuks are good guys but those across the pond.... not sure about those guys.:skep:
Bob

You're a very wise man Bob :D
Not so wise but the family is from Cornwall so you are across the tracks and not to be trusted.:toetap::leaving:
Yet someday I hope I may show up on your doorstep during a visit as all pokes are good natured.

Anyhoo, this is a very sharp corner to hold and hard to measure if you think you are doing it.
Takes some serious measuring equipment to verify real corners at this level. Kiss any CMM or even a 50X compartor goodbye.
Bob

I'll be using simple mild steel. Also I won't be using the insert for long time. So longevity of the insert isn't a big problem for me.

I don't think you want a diamond for steel. That's mainly for aluminum, brass,and stuff like that.

I think he wants a diamond "shaped" insert.

Aeronautic - I'm not up on my lathe insert nomenclature but as mentioned by Bob look for a ground "sharp" insert. Something intended for aluminum might be what you're looking for.

talk to Brett Young at Shapemaster Tools in Ohio

While a good place not sure this shop is what the OP is looking for.
Funny thing when you ask "diamond" tool to a cutting tool guy. One has to read between the lines.
007Rob and the OP mild steel.
It is confusing and I have been tripped up and fallen so many times to the initial call.
Bob

Back