What's new
What's new

Looking for simple cheap 2D CAD

rbdjr59

Cast Iron
After reading several threads I realize that what I need is something very simple as all I am doing is generating drawings for machine foundations and simple repair parts for my equipment. I am a concrete contractor who specializes in machine foundations. I am spending too much time with a pencil and a ruler making drawings for my clients to approve. Most of the machine foundations are for machines that are used and often don't have any factory drawings to go by. Even when I do have such drawings the owners often wish to make changes to better fit their operations. The factory drawings most often don't show reinforcing and I add that as well. I will draw up chip conveyor trays and show top and side views and that is about it. I also will draw parts such as shafts with threaded bores or O.D.'s to make repair parts for my equipment. I don't anticipate needing to grow into Autocad or solid works and I'm getting a little old to dedicate that kind of time to this now. Can some of you guys who are immersed in this field give me some advice on a simple and cheap software to use?IMG_0083.jpgDSCN2485.jpg

Draftsight used to be my free goto for 2d, but they just announced that it will go to $99/year December 31. There's a discussion about this on a "home shop machinist" board with discussion of alternatives.

"Autocad" is 2-d.....and is what I used when I did foundations, and tool design. From what I saw, Plain Old 2-d autocad is the defacto standard in the
building trades.

Now I have moved up to "Inventor" which is Autocad's version of solidworks,
parametric solid modelling.

You'll do fine with Dasault (free copy of 2-d autocad).

Now as to why you posted in the "CNC machinery section" and not the "CAD/CAM
SEction" is beyond comprehension.

@digger doug:

From a letter from Dassault:

DraftSight 2019 represents a major software upgrade that addresses the most requested capabilities and functionality from our users and provides new powerful features and 3D capabilities with more choices and flexibility. Plus, we are investing in other technologies including a cloud-based version of DraftSight and more.
As a result:
- DraftSight 2019 for Windows® is offered in paid versions only.
- All free versions of DraftSight (2018 or earlier) will cease to run after 12/31/2019.

Pricing for Draftsight: Minimum of $99/year. DraftSight(R) 2D Drafting and 3D Design Software | DraftSight

@digger doug:

From a letter from Dassault:

DraftSight 2019 represents a major software upgrade that addresses the most requested capabilities and functionality from our users and provides new powerful features and 3D capabilities with more choices and flexibility. Plus, we are investing in other technologies including a cloud-based version of DraftSight and more.
As a result:
- DraftSight 2019 for Windows® is offered in paid versions only.
- All free versions of DraftSight (2018 or earlier) will cease to run after 12/31/2019.

Pricing for Draftsight: Minimum of $99/year. DraftSight(R) 2D Drafting and 3D Design Software | DraftSight

Oopsie.
I saw your post up above, but I thought it was for a more fancy version,
"upgraded" sort of.

I have a copy of the plain vanilla "autocad 2-d" version from Dassault,
and found it to do everything I need in the shop (CNC flame cutter)
Thinking more on this, the box it is on is not connected online,
I wonder if it will still work ?

FWIW $99 a year for a CAD system that is the defacto standard is
still pretty cheap.
Your CAD when set up properly should easily slash your drafting work
time at least by 1/2.

Also, by intelligent setting up of your layers & viewports, will allow you
t quickly make views for just the form people, and other views for the re-bar people, etc. All interlinked, so changes will update across the board.

Will lead to more productivity on the job site, no more "scaling" a drawing
to find the footer locations on a tank farm (for instance).

Yes, that is beyond my comprehension as well. I read through the entire list of forums and thought I selected the CAD/CAM forum to post to. I am not sure what happened other than I must have made a mistake. I think I'll re-post it there.

Yes, that is beyond my comprehension as well. I read through the entire list of forums and thought I selected the CAD/CAM forum to post to. I am not sure what happened other than I must have made a mistake. I think I'll re-post it there.

No...don't do that.
Maybe a moderator will move it instead.
Running 2 or more threads on the same question will just cornfuse people.

Delta Cad is $35(I think) one time payment its as simple as it gets but the guy that sells it actually supports it and answers questions promptly. I use it and like it.
Bob

Delta Cad is $35(I think) one time payment its as simple as it gets but the guy that sells it actually supports it and answers questions promptly. I use it and like it.
Bob

Bob

I have used DeltaCad for years. It's an excellent little program...

Q cad is what i have been using for simple 2d stuff for a fair while now, its simple and near enough to autocad of old circa 2000 its easy to pick up and run with. Also all the DXF and DWG file options are great for cross platform support.

With out the funds - work to justify inventor i have kinda backed away from 3d parametric stuff, don't really need it for most of what i do and despite liking it my work justifies nothing like that kinda outlay at this point.

If you don't have legacy experience with the autocad way of doing things (as people tend to do on here when they recommend Draftsight), then Solid Edge is by far the best option.

It's free, modern, intuitive, fully featured.

Draftsight used to be my free goto for 2d, but they just announced that it will go to $99/year December 31. There's a discussion about this on a "home shop machinist" board with discussion of alternatives.

Not trying to take a dig at you, but $99/year is chasing people away? Jeez.

Remember those after school specials where the drug dealer gives the first bag of dope "free"? They're sinking the hook, nothings free.

Alloy, no offense taken, and you're correct. I'm not a for-profit operation. If I were, it would be a no-brainer to pay the $99. I've already lost that much if the hours I've spent looking for an alternative were billable... I've only done about 25 significant drawings in the last year.

There are still a few of us using old DOS 2D programs. I still do all my drawings with Design CAD 2D for DOS. The fellow that designed and drew or house used a similar DOS program. We affectionately call ours Dinosaur CAD.
We bought several copies and use only one now, if I can find one of the loose manuals, I could give you a copy. The design CAD for DOS is very easy to learn and with an old 14 inch dot matrix printer makes big enough drawings for shop use.

Alloy, no offense taken, and you're correct. I'm not a for-profit operation. If I were, it would be a no-brainer to pay the $99. I've already lost that much if the hours I've spent looking for an alternative were billable... I've only done about 25 significant drawings in the last year.

$99/25 = $3.96 per drawing.....:toetap:
Paper CAD (AKA "Hand-A-Matic") will incur higher total project cost's, if you need to send that drawing out to get some parts plasma/laser/waterjet cut.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for playing! If I go for Solid Edge or Auto-Cad is it pay one time and keep it forever or will I have to pay again every year or every time I get a new computer (5-7 years)?

Back