What's new
What's new

Looking at some small lathes.

Boss&SonsLLC

Plastic
Hey guys like the title states I'm looking at possibly purchasing two small lathes.
I wanted some opinions hopefully from people that have ran similar machines or used either of the controls.
They are both two axis Hardinge CNC retrofits one has an Omniturn control and the other is a Siemens Sinumerik 810T. Machine with Omniturn is up and running and has been used to make good parts the other machine the owner has not made any parts on. They are for sale because he doesn't want to deal with having to learn how to program them. Both machines have pnuematic chucks and one has a pretty nice full enclosure on it.
Presuming both are in good working condition and without any tooling what would you say the value of these two machines is?

Thanks for reading and hopefully your input.

Ariel B.

The value to YOU is what ever you want it to be. Those machines are used to make money. If they're sitting on Hardinge Tool Maker's lathes then mechanically they're fixable and can make very good parts.

You need to compare them to anything else out there you can find and decide what money you can make off of them and make him an offer.

This is YOUR life get in the water and swim. :) If you are just going to buy them to resell, get out of the way and let the man sell his own lathes, to help someone who wants to do REAL business.

Regards,

Stan-

Hey neighbor. I think if you can swing them for $2500 or less, they are pretty odd ball machines. They aren't down in Platteville area are they? If you are planning on buying gibbs cam or something like that then the Siemens shouldn't be a problem. I've heard good things about the omni turn control, but it is not widely used so I would call omni-turn and see how the support is. Personally I would wait for something a little more main stream to come up. I may have a couple machines coming up this week that may fit your needs and has Fanuc controls on it, Mori lathes. I thought my buddy in Platteville had 2 Hardinge lathes with different controls on them stuck in the corner of his shop for a couple years, that's why I asked if they were in Platteville. Good luck!

Used CNC

I have a Harding DV-59 with a Fagor 8025TG control that we use for small parts and second ops. It's been a virtually trouble free machine for 4+ years and has made me a ton of money. Rock solid control but a little funky till you get used to it. Fast, reliable and holds tolerances well, what more could you want from a small inexpensive CNC?

Back