What's new
What's new

Looking for suggestions on carbide insert grades

Ironman326

Plastic
Hey guys. I am here hoping to get some suggestions on what works best for y'all when machining sa516/70. We are currently using cnmg 432pm grade 4325 with excellent chip control but extremely poor insert life. Anyone found something that we Might could get 10 or 20 parts off each corner

What do you call poor life 10 minuets- 30 minuets actual in the cut tool life. Is it failing with a nice wear land or the tip fracturing? Is heat a problem? does it show cratering behind the edge. is the machine or the part holding fixture a problem?

That is a very good insert. We have had jobs where design was a factor, an old fashioned flat top would have poor chip flow control but if heat is a factor might be tried. We had jobs where an un ground insert was better (where only top and bottom were ground). jobs that a much thicker insert was better. Jobs that the holder was washed out below the insert. Had a job where no inset design or grade helped and so just went to a low cost inset to get the same performance for lower costs. Had jobs where coolant flow direction and amount was important.

Are you running it correctly? What's your speed, depth of cut & feed? There might be better inserts sure but you've got a good one to start.

Also what's your cause of failure? Cratering, inserts blowing up? Bad surface finish?

Last edited:
Very little info on what you are doing. I use that insert and it is the best if you ask me

Sendt fra min EML-L29 med Tapatalk

Since the op does not mention the brand name of insert, we must assume he only wants advise about other Sandvik grades ?

likely he has looked at other Sandvic grades(?).

He does not tell much about his operation.. We had very good tool life to cost using NTK ceramic...but that was for a light finish skim to mild/hard steel.

Products - NTK Cutting Tools (The Americas)

Back