What's new
What's new

Looking At A Used Hurco BMC 4020, Thoughts?

Arc-On

Aluminum
A friend of mine has a 1998 Hurco BMC 4020 that I'd like to make a deal with him on. I has the Ultimax conversational control, 8000 RPM CAT 40 taper spindle and rigid tapping. 24 tool ATC, I think. I don't have any pictures, but I have seen it in person, and it is clean and seems to be in good shape.

I don't have much experience with Hurco machine tools, so I would like to get some opinions.

He said the machine holds tolerance and makes good parts, but he just doesn't use it much anymore since he's gotten some newer and faster mills.

Anyone have any experiences to share good or bad?

Approximate value on the machine? (I know this is hard without seeing it run and make parts, just looking for a ballpark)

I would use the machine for small job shop type work. Nothing super fancy. I don't need tons of speed, I'm not doing large production runs or anything.

Thanks!

Since nobody else is gonna chime in I will, although while I have a lot of experience with Hurco, I've never used or owned one of that age. Older and newer, but not from then.

Of all the complaints and criticisms I've heard about Hurco machines, most of them stem from machines of that era. The late 90's were when Hurco first began end to end production of machines in Taiwan, and I think they were maybe a bit rough in the beginning.

One of things I've heard mentioned is problems with rigid tapping - broken taps, stripped threads etc. basically any kind of problem that stems from bad synchronisation. So maybe check that out first.

98 machine could either be a max 3 or a max 4 control. Both are nice controls.

In this country that machine would probably sell for around £8-12k depending on condition.

Since nobody else is gonna chime in I will, although while I have a lot of experience with Hurco, I've never used or owned one of that age. Older and newer, but not from then.

Of all the complaints and criticisms I've heard about Hurco machines, most of them stem from machines of that era. The late 90's were when Hurco first began end to end production of machines in Taiwan, and I think they were maybe a bit rough in the beginning.

One of things I've heard mentioned is problems with rigid tapping - broken taps, stripped threads etc. basically any kind of problem that stems from bad synchronisation. So maybe check that out first.

98 machine could either be a max 3 or a max 4 control. Both are nice controls.

In this country that machine would probably sell for around £8-12k depending on condition.

Thanks for the response.

I will ask him if he's ever had any issues with the rigid tapping. If it turns out to be an issue, I could always just use a floating tap holder I suppose. Obviously I would prefer there not be any issues, but that's a fairly workable one if that's all that I have to keep on the lookout for.

Back