What's new
What's new

Looking for your advice on CNC buy

GemFaceting

Plastic
Hello Guys and Gals

I know you are probably sick of giving advice on which CNC is the "best". I realize they all have pros and cons and I have read everything I can. I'm just looking for some first hand advice on a few used models that are available to me.

About me:
Amatuer manual machinist, totally new to CNC and G-Code. Currently back in school learning CAD/CAM.
90% of my parts will be 6061 and 10% 360 brass.
50-100 parts per month
Eventually I will need to incorporate a 4 axis
If the unit breaks it will most likely be me making the repairs so OTS parts are desirable.

The available machines (all are priced around 7000 USD except the Fadal VMC 15 which is around 5000USD):

2009 Milltronics RW 12 (chip conveyer,Centurion 7,Rigid Tap)

2012 Fadal 4020HT (box ways)

2003 Fadal 4020HT

2000 Fadal VMC 15 (4 axis pre-wired)

2002 Fadal 4020HT (low hours)

2006 Hurco VM1 (rigid tap)

Mazak VTC-16B (rigid tap, Mazatrol M plus 32 Control)

2001 Haas VF4 (4 axis ready, rigid tap, chip auger, floppy drive)

Sorry for all the trouble.

How big are your parts?
Which ones of the machines you listed have ethernet? USB?
Because floppy sucks and doesn't work 50% of the time.
RS-232 is an option but can be a hassle.
I would narrow my choices to the above first and then make a new list of machines.

first question is how is service/parts availability over the pond there? For entry level and net help doesn't get much more straight forward than Haas/Fadal and Haas is about the easiest thing to plug a rotary onto. Keep things simple until you are ready for more....

These will serve you well. To me, it's parts n' service that are going to count. Milltronics, Hurco, Mazak and Haas all support their machines. I'm not sure where FADAL is right now.

If you're at all electrically/mechanically minded then working on the Fadals yourself will be easy, no harder than working on a car really. There's tonnes of info out there and this forum is a great resource with lots of helpful people!

The HAAS and Fadals should be easy to drip feed (DNC). I drip feed programs with 8+ hour runtimes to my Fadal regularly with no issues. Smaller files are easy to load in the Fadal memory if you're so inclined. I run everything via DNC off a USB stick using a Calmotion box as it's just very easy and fast.

Bear in mind you're going to spend a *significant* amount of money tooling up whichever machine you buy. A pair of cheap double station vises will run you $2k, tooling to fill up the tool changer on any of those machines will be another ~$2k, not including cutting tools. Rigging and installation and so on will also need to be factored in. Then there's a tool setter, something like a Haimer 3D taster to setup work offsets, and so on... Plan to spend likely more than the machine cost on all the ancillary stuff to get it setup and making parts.

Getting a machine that's pre-wired for a 4th is great! Just be aware that whatever 4th you get will likely not be cheap unless you get a smoking deal!

Personally I would go with the VMC15, especially given that $5k is a very good deal for one if it's any sort of decent shape... But disclaimer I am very biased! I have a Fadal VMC10 (which is a VMC15 without the enclosure) that has been working really well for me. I have put in a fair bit of TLC, but even in the very rough state that I bought the machine in it still made a lot of good parts, and was perfectly happy cutting tool steel.

I am so happy with my machine that even after looking at many other machines, and lusting after many new machines, I simply couldn't justify the cost and I ended up buying another 2x VMC15s which are now in storage for when I get a larger shop next year. Nothing but good things to say about them honestly. Even treated like crap they will always come back for more. Treated well they are a very solid machine capable of keeping up with all modern styles of toolpaths with no issues, and will make a lot of great parts for you!

You can essentially fully rebuild a fadal (aside from castings) from parts readily and cheaply available online.
The hurco and mazak machines are "better", but if you are a startup doing your own service, you really cant beat an old Fadal.

EDIT:

Aaron is right on point...

Back