What's new
What's new

Low Cost Small Part Dovetail Fixtures *4th and 5th Axis*

dstryr

Diamond
*Edit: Posted in for sale items and didnt get much response. Figured I'd try my hat over here*

I've been using these in production in my own shop for a few years now. When I first got into multi axis milling we were amazed at the prices people wanted for fixturing but when you only need 1-2 you just shut up and pay it. Fast forward a year and I started needing more of these. So we ran off 40 or so of my own designed clamp. These have served us very well for smaller parts where you need tool holder clearances.

The beauty of these are they are cheap so you can cut them , modify them, or whatever you need to fit that part. They clamp very easily and with little torque required have a great bite on the dovetail. Usually a 1/4 turn with a T handle is all you need. This new batch we didn't want to deal with helicoils so we designed a little t nut to slide in the back slots (should see what I mean below) for the clamping screws to thread into in case a bolt wears out and breaks the head off. Throw it away and replace the nut instead of the whole fixture like we used to do.

This go around I'm building two different sizes.
1. Dovetail .570 wide (perfect for .750 stock)
2. Dovetail .900 wide for a little bit bigger part (we needed this for a production part we run).

The block dimensions are
1.975 x 2.5 x 2.975

They are secured down with 4 1/4-20s on the flange and they have 2 1/4 slip dowels on the back.

Dovetail cut required on stock
60* Dovetail x .125 deep (Fixtures are .100 dp)

Below you will find pictures of the clamps themselves and some setups I've used them on over the years.

Pricing:

1 pc $150 each Shipped
5 pcs $120 each shipped
10 pcs+ $100 each shipped

I have 30 of the smaller ones right now I can sell and 10 of the larger ones. Will make more depending on if there is any interest.

Paypal payment
Email me for orders
dennis.rathi {at} creationsultd.com

dovetail1.png

dovetail2.png

dovetail3.png

dovetail4.png

dovetail5.png

dovetail6.JPG

Those are really nice. If I hadn't spent a ton of money with Lang, I might've grabbed a few of these from you...

Those are really nice. If I hadn't spent a ton of money with Lang, I might've grabbed a few of these from you...

Thats how I came up with this fixture.

At first when I only had 1 5 axis I just bought a technigrip and started making parts. Well its great workholding for bigger parts but when you have tiny shit like we make out here...there is never enough clearance.

I looked around at raptor clamps and at some of the other dovetail vises and thought...okay price for 1 is what it is....just buy one.

Fast forward another year and we added a horizontal to the shop. I had a job come up where I needed 16 clamps and to buy them would have cost me $12-15k. No one would give me a quantity discount.

So we came up with this and had Maritool make me a custom *EXPENSIVE* 5" carbide saw with a full radius ground on the end and made a bunch. I gave a few away locally to some friends and they all said I should try to sell them.

Not pretending like this is a break through to workholding or the end all be all solution but its very cost effective and they are easily modified.

I have a few where I cut off the sides at angles so you only have 1 clamping screw but shortened all my tool sticks outs by 1/2 of what they were. Doing that to an $800 fixture might make me shed a tear.

For second operation stuff Lang workholding is the shit...but to just hold something for operation 1 I couldn't justify it.

I'm going to send out some for anodizing. Maybe that will make them more appealing LOL

I have no need of these myself, but we made some production vacuum plates for lathes once. Black anodizing did make it easier to see any chips that need to be blown off before loading the next part. Seems like the same principle would apply to you fixtures.

Nice work and a good idea, hope you sell a million.

dstryr,
Nice fixture !!
How did the custom carbide saw work out for you?

Works out great. I've done a few hundred of these cuts with that saw and still on the first one. Just throws chips out of the way and leaves a good finish. I was hesitant running it the first time but rock solid work!

Dennis,

Looks great. What alloy are you using? Thanks.

Fred

Just standard 6061. The T-nuts we made to thread the clamping screw into are just generic 1018 steel we had lying around.
On this last batch idk if its possible to tell but I carried the saw cut a little deeper so the force required to hing it over is a little less.

Nice work Bro! If we (gov contractor) could purchase from you I definitely would.

I've always thought the same damn thing about the fixtures, just too expensive.... I have a Techi-grip and like it, but damn $$$$

edit: If you got those Anodized and added about $20 more per piece you'd prolly sell more ;)

One thought - on the next batch, would it be possible to use a "square-nut" or something off the shelf from McMaster Carr? I can't really see the t-nuts you're talking about on my phone.

Nice work though. I love nice, simple, home-brew stuff like this

Very nice product. Unfortunately I don't have a use for them. Just a thought, observation, what have you. What do you think about putting a threaded or reamed hole in the bottom of the dovetail near one end? This way someone could screw in a bolt on glue in a pin to act as a positive stop.

Very nice product. Unfortunately I don't have a use for them. Just a thought, observation, what have you. What do you think about putting a threaded or reamed hole in the bottom of the dovetail near one end? This way someone could screw in a bolt on glue in a pin to act as a positive stop.

In the past we just drill and tap a 4-40 hole for a socket cap screw when we want a stop. 99% of the time we center the part by eye ball. Human eye is good at centering them.

Sometimes we align the stock to one side and have it stick over for more clearance. I'd have to swiss cheese the fixture with holes or make the dovetail prep op take more time.

Back