What's new
What's new

Lyndex ERxx holders w/ ball bearing nut. Worth the $$?

ChipSplitter

Titanium
Just got a sale flyer with Lyndex's ER collet chuck with a ball bearing nut. They claim it has 50% more holding power than a standard chuck. Here's the catch..... Sale price $174.00!! Shorties are $250. That is enough to make me think twice.
I mean, I can buy a Techniks shorty for about $130 all day long. A 2.78" gage length Dorian is on sale right now for $70. I not afraid of spending money if it brings a return, but....... :crazy:

Has anyone tried these? I'm sure it is easier to tighten with the bearing nut, but I use exact-size collets and a 24" wrench to tighten it. An endmill doesn't get away from me unless I'm really hogging.

The TG holders I've used with bearing nuts have been a pain due to swarf getting in the races. If the new ER nuts are properly sealed I'd consider them, but that is a big jump in price.

But on your 24" wrench - you can go too tight on the nuts, I just use the factory (Techniks also) wrenches and give 'em a good tug. If you're roughing Weldon holders may be a better bet for you.

Are you familiar with Maritool? His holders are nice, Made in USA (Michigan!) and he offers the bearing nuts as an option on his ER collet chucks. I hope you are using that 24" wrench on ER32 or ER40. A torque wrench is a good idea.

I've seen better runout with the ER bearing nuts from MariTool but like Milland stated, swarf and the like can be an issue and can make the nut rough and defeat the purpose. Not a huge deal if you're dialed in with a process but when you are running around changing a bunch of tools during the day it can be a bit of a pain.

To get almost the same performance, I use a bit of Moly-d on a solid nut where the collet rides so that the nut doesn't have a tendency to twist. Works well but does add some cleanup during tool changes due to the swarf getting stuck to the moly-d'd surfaces.

Are you familiar with Maritool? His holders are nice, Made in USA (Michigan!) and he offers the bearing nuts as an option on his ER collet chucks. I hope you are using that 24" wrench on ER32 or ER40. A torque wrench is a good idea.

Yes, that is an ER32. I only make the stubbies that tight.

Aren't they made in Illinois? If they were made in Michigan they'd be even better quality! :D

I sell Lyndex as a distributor. I would say the bearing nut is worth the price in gripping force for milling. The thing about the Lyndex ER system is they are not Japanese made like their higher end product like the SK system and their milling chucks. They are a similar quality as a Techniks, Pioneer or Sowa Taiwanese products. Not cheap junk but good quality import. Which is fine for 99% of shops. If you are going to pony up the cash you might as well go to an SK system which is a more ridgid system and comes with a bearing nut as a standard for Lyndex that is. As Maritool is a direct sales method I have no experience supporting their product but this site is full of testimonial's to Frank's quality and Maritool makes SK holders as well.

I stand corrected! I don't know why I thought they were in Michigan. :crazy:

Some days I wish I was in Michigan, hahahahaha.

Properly lubricating solid ER collet nuts before assembly will give same torque and runout as bearing nuts.

Also bearing nuts are not balanced like solid collet nuts. We offer both for whatever the customer prefers.

Properly lubricating solid ER collet nuts before assembly will give same torque and runout as bearing nuts.

Also bearing nuts are not balanced like solid collet nuts. We offer both for whatever the customer prefers.

And that's why I was wondering; if the standard nuts can be overtightened, what's the purpose of the bearing nuts other than operator comfort.

I tell my guys it's free gym time..... :cool:

Some days I wish I was in Michigan, hahahahaha. .
All jokes aside, I have an uncle living in northwestern Illinois. He gets ticked off at the "Chicagoan legislations".

I really like the ER bearing nuts. I feel they grip tigher and I like the fact that they dont twist the face of collet while tightening. I have seen an end mill slip out of standard er collet nuts a couple times, but never with a bearing type. Maybe coincidence, I dont know for sure. But I like using them better in any case. Also note that most of these are not actually ball bearings, its still just a sliding bearing, but at least the sliding isnt happening directly on your collets. Swarf is never a problem in my experiance.

My favorite are the ones from Iscar/ETM/Tungaloy which use a normal size ER wrench and the collet sits flush with the nut instead of being recessed like some bearing nuts. I use these nuts on some techniks holders as well.

My favorite are the ones from Iscar/ETM/Tungaloy which use a normal size ER wrench and the collet sits flush with the nut instead of being recessed like some bearing nuts. I use these nuts on some techniks holders as well.

Are there aftermarket bearing nuts available for ETM or Techniks holders?

Are there aftermarket bearing nuts available for ETM or Techniks holders?

Yeah the nuts are standardized, so most ER nuts of one brand will fill ER holders of another brand. Im sure there are oddballs out there but for the most part you can interchance them.

I use these on Techniks holders. Tooling Systems > Tool Holder Accessories > Clamping Nuts | NUT ER32 TOP | EH4513027 Same part, and I think same part number for iscar and tungaloy. I find Tungaloy cheaper and faster shipping where im from here in canada. I also use the ER16 ones

Getting them back out [without breaking the stripper tangs] is going to be the main concern for overtightening.

I see the bearing only as a "less opp effort" when tightening is all.

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yeah the nuts are standardized, so most ER nuts of one brand will fill ER holders of another brand. Im sure there are oddballs out there but for the most part you can interchance them.

I use these on Techniks holders. Tooling Systems > Tool Holder Accessories > Clamping Nuts | NUT ER32 TOP | EH4513027 Same part, and I think same part number for iscar and tungaloy. I find Tungaloy cheaper and faster shipping where im from here in canada. I also use the ER16 ones

And those have bearings?

Personally, I don't care much for ER collets. I hate how some nuts make it nearly impossible to snap the collets in/out. I don't like that they don't have much gripping length. I don't like the torque required... But, they do have their place.

I haven't used the Lyndex ER bearing nuts. What I can offer in the way of anecdotal evidence though - Regarding the infamous Maritool vs. Lyndex thread, the VP of Lyndex (USA) called me back to discuss the video that was since pulled. The conversation drifted and he got on the subject of ER collet nuts, and bearing nuts in general. He had a lot of good things to say about using bearing nuts, and had some case study examples that he passed along. (I remember them using Mitsubishi endmills very high quality) and an OKK VMC in their shop in which the tests were run on, FWIW - The details you remember...) The tone of the conversation wasn't sales-ey or gimmicky at all. This was just a guy that enjoyed toolholders & machining like the rest of us.

I guess my point in saying all this - I would give them a try. Maybe order a couple to give them a try. I can say that every Lyndex product I've ever seen has been high quality, so I don't think you'll regret the purchase if it's any consolation.

Some other thoughts on ER & other collets...

- I still don't like ER collets

- If you must use ER collets, INVEST IN A TORQUE WRENCH! Whatever they cost, they are worth the price.

- If you need a "roughing" toolholder, a good Weldon/side-lock holder just cannot be beat. Especially the "short" toolholders, which have the set-screws nearer/inside the V-flange.

- If you need a good "finishing" or HSM holder and don't mind the gage-length, milling chucks are fantastic. (Personal opinion of course, but you know...) Straight collets for easy assembly, no fancy long wrenches needed, great runout performance, etc... Lyndex does make a nice, and fairly affordable milling chuck BTW.

- I still have no idea why TG/OZ series collets exist... :confused:

???

Well TG was around before ER, and both were (are?) Erickson products.

I'm guessing that the ER is a commodity version of the TG is all?

I would trade out the TG for your side-lock in your tale if it was me.
I don't want no stinkin' set screw/Weldon groove in my carbide mill!

The TG aint gunna slip!
(I've heard that it TG stands for Tremendous Grip, but IDK?)

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back