What's new
What's new

M10x1 Metric thread data needed?

sconisbee

Aluminum
And so begins another long night of work yay!:nutter:

Anyway, I have a run of parts that require an M10x1 thread on the end of some stainless tube, only trouble is i cant find data on this thread and its a low tolerance (ish) job so i was going to make a ring guage for this run, but thats niether here nor there what I need to know is does anyone have thread data for m10x1? depth, pitch dia. etc?

Any help much appreciated.

Might as well throw in a pitch (no pun intended) for my ThreadPal software, which gives very detailed data for forty thread types with a couple of mouse clicks. Oddball thread sizes are invited to the party.

ThreadPal

Yours is probably good but my help is free

What would your system say to 135mm x 12 TPI (W)?
I actually know a company that makes weird threads like that

Your help is probably good too, but lots of people need answers "right now". You may be dependable, but you're not 24/7/365. :)

I don't know what the "(W)" refers to - is it a Whitworth thread? If so, ThreadPal will display in inch or metric. The only catch is, you have to type in the major diameter as "135/25.4".

Let me know if it's Whitworth or Unified or ISO and I'll post screenshots in inch and metric.

when a thread is coated it adds on 4 times the coating layer to the pitch diameter as there are 4 flanks.

It depends on the included angle. For example, measurement over wires changes x4 for 60-degree threads, x8 for Acme (29-degree). That's one of the reasons the coating calculator is so handy.

As a satisfied customer I can say that Rainey's software has helped me out many times. I even have other shops call to ask me a question or two. Dang I should charge for that... Anyway, for the money it is hard to beat.

Charles

And another huge atta'boy for ThreadPal!
Not only do you once and for all stop looking through charts, but you also stop criss-crossing between lines, transpose numbers, calculate thread heights, calculate feedrates ( for US threads ).
What's even more, with the text output you can cut/paste the specs right onto your shop floor and inspection drawings.

Hope I'm not giving away the farm here ( old enough thread ) but this is what the output looks like:

Metric Units

M10 x 1-6g
Allowance,0.026
Major Diameter Max,9.974
Major Diameter Min,9.794
Pitch Diameter Max,9.324
Pitch Diameter Min,9.212
Minor Diameter Max,8.891
Minor Diameter Min (Ref),8.596
Root Radius Max,--
Root Radius Min,0.125
Flat At Root,--
Thread Height (Basic),0.613

M10 x 1-6H
Allowance,0.000
Minor Diameter Min,8.917
Minor Diameter Max,9.153
Pitch Diameter Min,9.350
Pitch Diameter Max,9.500
Major Diameter Min,10.000
Major Diameter Max (Ref),10.294
Flat At Root,--
Thread Height (Basic),0.541

Pitch,1.000
Lead,1.000
Starts,1
Lead Angle,1.955

Included Angle,60.0000

Agreed, the ThreadPal is very impressive, and when I have a little spare cash it will be the next piece of software i buy, Well worth the money in my opinion

"H" means that the min pitch diameter on the internal thread is also the nominal pitch diameter. "h" on a metric external thread means that the max. pitch diameter is on nominal and "H" on a metric internal thread means that the min. pitch diameter is on nominal.

When either of those conditions occurs, the allowance (fundamental deviation) will display as 0.000

Thats the nice thing about metric threads
Drillingdiam is nom diam minus pitch

Peter

Works the same with Standard too... But it's just a "close enough to work" approximation...

1/4-20 = .250" - .050" = .200... Standard tap drill is a #7 at .201"... So, close enough to work.

Back