What's new
What's new

M198 off card Fanuc 16m Seicos

Dave Cross

Titanium
I've got a Hitachi Seiki with a 16m seicos controller that I would like to use M198 to call programs off of a card.

It does have a data server, but the data server can only receive programs via ethernet, or the fanuc memory. I do not want to put the machine on a network, and because the fanuc memory is so small I would have to break my longer programs into multiples in order to store them on the data server, which I also do not want to deal with.

Currently I can call programs with M198 off the data server, but I have not been successful in using M198 to call a program off the card. I am getting an alarm that says the "program cannot be found" and I believe this is because when I call M198 it is defaulting to pulling the program off the data server, and not the card.

I do not have a parameter manual for this machine unfortunately.

I have set the following parameters:

138 bit 7 is 1
I/O channel is 4
3404 Bit 2 is 1
3030 equals 3
6030 set to 198

I have verified that the cards I am using do work as I can download smaller programs onto the machine memory.

I assume there is a parameter that forces M198 to pull off a card instead of the data server?

Maybe someone will know the specifics of this better.

On a Mori I used to run you could direct your M198 to a specific storage location by adding an "H" (I believe).

For instance, M198 P0123 H0;
The H0 was for the DNC, so external memory may be H1, H2, etc.

The naming of the .NC was also finicky. I think I had to drop the .nc file extension and just have the program name as O0123 or just 0123. If you have the operation or programming manual, have a good look and see if your controller has a similar function.

P.S. I can't quite remember if the flag was an H or not. Maybe have been a D.

Edit:
On second though the flag was a D i'm pretty sure. The H would let you call to a specific block number in the sub program. So try a combo of different D #'s if your controller is compatible.

Good luck

I seem to recall having dealt with file type issues on other machines so I am already using files without any type/extension. Your mention of adding a D or H to the syntax is interesting, I haven't heard or seen that before that I can recall.

I run all my programs off the card. Program O1122 on the card with no extension and call out M198 P1122 in your program on the controller.

IO channel 4 is correct.

What size memory card? Did you format FAT?

Steve, I have several different sized cards. All of them can transfer files back and forth to the fanuc memory. I have not formatted these cards, I assumed they should work due to the fact that I can send and receive from the cards to the fanuc memory, but I can look into how you format cards and try that.

Do you have a data server on your machine? If so, when you have a program named O1122 on the data server and the card, which gets called when you execute M198?

I never hooked up the ethernet. I've always used the pcmcia slot. Fanucs are definitely fussy about what cards to use but I agree if you can transfer files to memory it should be ok?!

Is your 3404 param at:
1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Also be sure to power down and reboot machine.

So I am not at work so don't have my info sheet but it might be parameter dependent.
If you look in your IC card library at the control there are two numbers or descriptions for each program. One is what the file is called and the other is a number that the control assigns to that file. The assigned number is what I use because it is how I set my parameters up. Even though my file is called 1000 if it is the first program on the card to call it I use M198 P1. If the parameters are set the other way it would be M198 P1000.

Every control I have set up I use the first method... Just because it was how my first Oi was setup. On my Mitsubishi you actually have to call the file a certain number and call it that way, could also be parameter dependent but I have never bothered to delve into that.

I never hooked up the ethernet. I've always used the pcmcia slot. Fanucs are definitely fussy about what cards to use but I agree if you can transfer files to memory it should be ok?!

Is your 3404 param at:
1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Also be sure to power down and reboot machine.

I had set bit 2 to 1, to call the program #, not file number.

So I am not at work so don't have my info sheet but it might be parameter dependent.
If you look in your IC card library at the control there are two numbers or descriptions for each program. One is what the file is called and the other is a number that the control assigns to that file. The assigned number is what I use because it is how I set my parameters up. Even though my file is called 1000 if it is the first program on the card to call it I use M198 P1. If the parameters are set the other way it would be M198 P1000.

Every control I have set up I use the first method... Just because it was how my first Oi was setup. On my Mitsubishi you actually have to call the file a certain number and call it that way, could also be parameter dependent but I have never bothered to delve into that.

According to the GE Fanuc manual I found online this is controlled by parameter 3404.2 (SBP)
0: Indicating file number
1: Indicating program number

I did find that parameter 900.0 (DSV) controls the data server.
0: Enabled
1: Disabled

By disabling the data server I have been able to change the type of alarm I get when I try to call a program off the card via M198. Previously I was getting Alarm 590 # 4 "Disk operation error - Disk operations refers to data server operation by M198, or program operation on the part of the sub-tape memory when the sub tape memory is attached. #4: The specified file cannot be found"

When I disabled the data server, I now get a new alarm, 522 #1 "Program not found"

To recap my current parameter settings are:

#20 I/O set to 4
#138.7 set to 1
#900.0 set to 1
#3030 Set to 3
#3404.2 set to 1
#6030 set to 198

Back