What's new
What's new

M30 trips thermal alarm Fanuc 16I

cmccull166

Hot Rolled
Anyone ever heard of this?
This started mid 2000's its a 99 model. I had the machine sales Co. try to fix this, they spent hours on the phone with Fanuc..finally they gave up.

Anyone ever heard of this?
This started mid 2000's its a 99 model. I had the machine sales Co. try to fix this, they spent hours on the phone with Fanuc..finally they gave up.

Thermal alarms are generated within the builder's PMC ladder program. Can you post more information? It's free to add details. Heck, even letting us know what the builder and model is might help.

What shows on the screen when it occurs? Does it happen every time M30 is read? Do it in MDI as well as Memory?

Thermal alarms are generated within the builder's PMC ladder program. Can you post more information? It's free to add details. Heck, even letting us know what the builder and model is might help.

OK sorry...Kitamura my3x w/ pallet changer..I don't remember all the details I'll dig through the records
maybe that will shed some light or jog my memory.
Its been 15 years or so...So dont hold your breath:confused:

Now that I think about.. it may have started with pallet changer problems.

What shows on the screen when it occurs? Does it happen every time M30 is read? Do it in MDI as well as Memory?

I'll M30 in MDI Monday ..Im sure it will still trip and I will post a picture of the alarm.

Thanks

Shutting off the main power on the cabinet
So you haven't found any tripped relays. What machine is this?

Try M02 just for kicks? Or even an M00 followed by an M99? Just curious if it's something written into the M30 ladder, might not be in the M02 or M00...

.Kitamura my3x w/ pallet changer..I don't remember all the details I'll dig through the records
maybe that will shed some light or jog my memory.
Its been 15 years or so..

Yes in MDI trips as well

View attachment 285783

Absolutely coming from the ladder program. Because Fanuc is not involved with creating the ladder program it is not surprising that they were not able to help. IME, once a Fanuc tech determines that a machine problem is ladder related they stop working on it and refer the customer to the machine builder. Sadly, most distributor level "techs" have little grasp of what is going on in a ladder.

M30 is available as an input from the CNC to the PMC ladder program at address F010-F013. Builder uses this signal to turn off what ever they want at the end of the program like coolant and spindle. It can be much more extensive too. Initiate a pallet change. Call a robot to change parts. Load a new program. Whatever.

One thought is that the M30 signal is used to turn off some device that is not on your machine. When the logic is executed to turn off the device and the contactor is not present then the alarm results. That would be a bit of an odd way of doing it, but possible. That type situation would most likely be the result of an incorrect setting of a KeepRelay PMC parameter that controls the machine builder's configuration of the machine.

Some builders also incorporate an "auto power off" function with it. When a switch or other input is on, and M30 is executed. then the ladder sends an output to turn off the machine, often by tripping the main breaker. This can be used when running unattended which is sort of common with pallet changer machines. I'm wondering if something similar is going on with your machine.

Figuring it out may take a bit of a dive into the ladder logic. Not that tough for someone with some experience and understanding of ladder. Two ways to approach this. One would be to look at all logic rungs where F010-F013 is an input and follow them through their operations and branches until you find which one drives the alarm. The other would be to figure out which A address is being used to drive the 2005 alarm message and see what activates that A address by backtracking through the logic. Either way would work, just a matter personal preference really. I'd backtrack it because in IME, you don't chase as many dead ends.

Last edited:
sORRY ...using M00 AND M99 Is the only solution we have to run programs.
That's what I was trying to do- find a workaround that would keep you running... ;)

What Kevin says makes a lot of sense- it sounds like the ladder is written for something that doesn't exist on your machine.

I see something that is odd to me, your program number is O9025 that program number is tied to parameter 6085, look at parameter 6085 and let us know if it has the number 30 in it, if it dose your problem may be in the O9025 program, if it has a 30 in it I would remove it and see if M30 works.

general rule of thumb here is to not use 9xxxx program number ever, as stated above.

check all of your breakers/relays. the times I have seen a thermal fault is when something tripped in the cabinet. look everywhere because they can be hidden.

I see something that is odd to me, your program number is O9025 that program number is tied to parameter 6085, look at parameter 6085 and let us know if it has the number 30 in it, if it dose your problem may be in the O9025 program, if it has a 30 in it I would remove it and see if M30 works.

Its set at 85.

general rule of thumb here is to not use 9xxxx program number ever, as stated above.

check all of your breakers/relays. the times I have seen a thermal fault is when something tripped in the cabinet. look everywhere because they can be hidden.

The 9xxx came up after I had deleted several programs .IIRC the 9xxx are pallet related

Back