What's new
What's new

Hurco Ultimax 1 questions

SethR

Plastic
I used to use a 1984 Hurco KM3P with an Ultimax 1 controller, back in the 90's. They are a great little machine for general use and hobbiest. I did some pretty amazing things on that machine, especially with the 3D mold feature. Ever since then, I've always wanted a workshop, with a Hurco in it. I've had a workshop for several years now. So I decided, now was the time.

I've been looking for a good deal on a good used Hurco for several weeks. And low and behold, I found a decent deal on KM3P, identical to the one I used to use (even the same year). Ultimately, I would prefer a little newer machine, with at least an Ultimax 2 or later control. But, I thought, there' nothing really that I can think of that I couldn't do on the Ultimax 1 control... Or is there?!?

So, before I bite the bullet and buy this thing, a couple questions:

1. What do the later controls do or have that the Ultimax 1 doesn't? Basically, what are the differences?

2. The only thing I can think of that I would like to be able to do on it, that I never did back in the day, was to program using a CAM package, and running the g-code program on the KM3P. So this becomes a several part question:
a) Can the Ultimax 1 control even run G-code? This wasn't something I ever had an opportunity to try, back in the day.
b) How do you actually get the program from the computer, to the control? I've never really done a whole lot in the way of CAM programming, or even much G-code. Some. But not a ton of it. So bare with me here. Can the computer be connected directly to the control? I remember there being 2 weird looking large round bayonet type connectors on the back of the machine I used to use. I'm assuming this was for communications to the computer for G-code. But I'm uncertain. Does anyone have any experience with running G-code from a CAM package, on an Ultimax 1 control? If so, could you describe how you do it?

Any comments regarding running CAM created programs on an Ultimax 1 control are appreciated...

Thank you

Know that you are buying an orphan. Hurco will not give you the time of day. There are some Q and A archives on their site, but little about Ultimax 2, or max32.
Frequently Asked Questions - Hurco Service and Support

Give Dave Price at midwest a call. Midwest CNC Service, Inc.
He will be your next best friend, when boards die. And they will. He keeps my my BMC25 alive.

If you wish to go g-code route, you will need an emulator. HTEC News
I've had 4 Hurco machines, KMP3 through BMC50. Conversational is good, but you might need more capability. And a tool changer. I want probing, but makes no sense for a 30 year old antique. Unless this machine approaches FREE, run, Forrest, Run. Save up for a used Fadal, or pull the trigger on a HAAS.
Newer controls, starting with max32, are windows based architecture. Smaller modular controls, and setup like a desktop. Advantage is you do not need stupid expensive monochrome monitors, you can swap in cheap flat screens, when they die. And they will. Good luck

Thank you for your insight, irontoys.

Yes, I'm well aware that this would be an "orphan". And I've already experienced Hurco's lack of support with this machine, when I contacted them with a different question about this machine (before I buy it). Apparently, they don't have much help to give for people with their "blue" machines. And ironically, they referred me to Dave Price as well.

However, I'm pretty stuck on getting a Hurco. I love the ease and speed of the conversational programming. This would be for my personal workshop, to do hobbyists things, and the occasional car or racing parts, etc. I already know the machine's capabilities (since I used to use one identical to this, as well as a Max 2 machine). And, the conversational programming would probably do about 95% of what I'd ever want it to do, as long as it has the 3D Mold feature installed (which this one does). Its that 5% by the use of a CAM package and G-code, that I'm trying to figure out before buying it.

I'm not clear what you meant by needing an emulator, or what that link to a DNC module was for, exactly (it appeared to be for a HAAS). I'm not very knowledgeable about communications from a computer to a control. Most of what I ever did was done directly on the control. So would that unit help me get G-code from a computer, to the machine, if I were to go with this Ultimax 1 machine? Any explanation here would be greatly appreciated.

And, as for the Max 32 controls, does this version make getting programs to the control easier? Do they generally operate and program the same as the previous Max 1 and 2 controls (as far as conversational is concerned) ? I'm not that familiar with Max 32s. But if they solve a lot of these issues, and still function similar to the older Max 1 and 2 controls, then I could make that one of my requirement on looking for a machine.

Back