What's new
What's new

Machine recommendations

craigrm

Plastic
I am looking for recommendations on what machine type would work best for machining 304 stainless forgings into 20" rings.

I am looking for recommendations on what machine type would work best for machining 304 stainless forgings into 20" rings.

Welcome to the Jungle! Don't worry about the shitposts, it's just a little ritual they have here. What's happened is that you posted a question with little information, that's blood in the water for this lot.

Tell us more about the rings and the forgings. Are the profiles complex or simple? O-ring grooves? Surface finish and accuracy requirements? A lot of metal coming off the forgings, or near-net?

That info will help us help you. A simple ring could be a job for a manual vertical turning lathe (VTL), complex profiles are more easily done on a CNC version. If drilling hole patterns or other features, a Mill-Turn Center might be ideal, but much more spendy.

Another tip - an accurate and descriptive "title" for your new thread is mandatory, otherwise people can ignore or even remove a poorly-titled thread. For this one: "Need machine recommendation for turning 20" stainless rings" would work better.

Welcome to the Jungle! Don't worry about the shitposts, it's just a little ritual they have here. What's happened is that you posted a question with little information, that's blood in the water for this lot.

Tell us more about the rings and the forgings. Are the profiles complex or simple? O-ring grooves? Surface finish and accuracy requirements? A lot of metal coming off the forgings, or near-net?

That info will help us help you. A simple ring could be a job for a manual vertical turning lathe (VTL), complex profiles are more easily done on a CNC version. If drilling hole patterns or other features, a Mill-Turn Center might be ideal, but much more spendy.

Another tip - an accurate and descriptive "title" for your new thread is mandatory, otherwise people can ignore or even remove a poorly-titled thread. For this one: "Need machine recommendation for turning 20" stainless rings" would work better.

Fwiw I was serious about the horizontal...

The forgings should already be made into rings, No?

If not, I'd ask why not.

Assuming your asking about what machine to do the machining from raw forged ring to near net size, to a finished machined ring. That really depends on what the finished product needs.

-Just cleaned up with a grinder? Grinder is a machine and would be a 20" ring.

-Simple face and turn in a manual lathe or CNC Lathe

-Machine all around with bolt patterns spickets and counterbores- lathe/CNC lathe with live tooling OR a 2nd operation in a Mill or CNC Mill

-Contoured features lends itself more to CNC, but not required.

- How many and how fast you need with what budget kinda dictates the options.

High quantitiy large budget robotic loader into a _______ depends on what needs to be done.

Providing us with very little information allows us to offer little in the way of suggestions.

Back