What's new
What's new

machine replacement, what to buy next?

tay2daizzo8

Hot Rolled
Hey Everyone,

I need help picking out a new to me machine.

BAckround:

we have a mycenter 3x that has the counterbalance cylinder break(sheared both bolts off in the casting)
its a late 90's model and has been a very good machine running 50+ hours a week for 20 years.

90 percent of our work is titanium inconel and stainless(usually HT)

What i need:

3 axis VMC
min 40 taper
box ways
TSC would be a nice comeup
same size or bigger(30 x 20 x 20ish)
easy to fix/maintain/troubleshoot
i dont need probes or any of that fancy stuff

currently we have a mix of mycenters, okumas, mattsurras and robodrills

I am currently exploring a 2007 Mori DuraVertical 5100 with a MSC-504M Control.

we have a few mori lathes so i have worked with a MSC control before

thoughts?

The Okuma line up is one you can't go wrong on, YCM is worth a look they are great machines that don't seem to get a lot of press for some reason.

You should consider a probe with this purchase, I felt the same in 2012 when I was shopping for my first new mill in many years.

I decided that in the big picture of the purchase it wasn't that much more money and went with it. It has more than paid for itself many times over and I would not buy a machine without one.

Think about it.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Hey Everyone,

I need help picking out a new to me machine.

BAckround:

we have a mycenter 3x that has the counterbalance cylinder break(sheared both bolts off in the casting)
its a late 90's model and has been a very good machine running 50+ hours a week for 20 years.

90 percent of our work is titanium inconel and stainless(usually HT)

What i need:

3 axis VMC
min 40 taper
box ways
TSC would be a nice comeup
same size or bigger(30 x 20 x 20ish)
easy to fix/maintain/troubleshoot
i dont need probes or any of that fancy stuff

currently we have a mix of mycenters, okumas, mattsurras and robodrills

I am currently exploring a 2007 Mori DuraVertical 5100 with a MSC-504M Control.

we have a few mori lathes so i have worked with a MSC control before

thoughts?

Apologies for the three page essay.

Isn't the DuraVertical 5100 a linear (rolling element) slide type machine -(slides and trucks) - , [Have to dig up really old literature on an old 'puter.].

The NVX being box way machine, and 2nd generation NVX being hybrid box(ed) ways and linear slides and trucks [(on Z axis ) I believe.

- mycenter 3x Kitamura - integral box ways to the castings but cuts really straight.

@tay2daizzo8 looking for second hand machines rather than new ?

It's odd how some builders "Treat" or employ box ways vs. slides + trucks. And on which axes (some MTB that go "Hybrid" have box ways on X and Y but trucks on Z, and other MTBS have boxed ways on Z with trucks and slides on an XY table ? ).

Makino on their ultra precise machines might use box ways, for example a V33i, or V56i (for vibration dampening / surface finish) BUT the spindles are typically for 30K rpm / 40K / 45K rpm type applications - ultra rigid, but lower torque higher rpm spindles for mold work and hardened materials. Not so much for serious MRR(s) in tough / difficult materials + parts like larger Titanium structural components, or nickel alloys (inconel ) vs. hardened stainless. On some of these more ultra precise machines higher torque 20K rpm spindles are available but seems like an "Odd" mis-match. I.e. a V33i with 20K spindle options seem to be missing the point + mucho dollars burnt in the wrong direction.

OTOH for more generic production work Makino would have PS-105 (new) PS-65b (new), PS-95 2nd hand, and PS-65 2nd hand, powerful spindles but linear rolling element slides.

I "Think" that's why makino brought out the S56 (back in the day) - as a more all rounder 20K type spindle , bridge style machine so can do mold work in hardened materials but can also have a pretty good stab at titaniums and nickel alloys + have the ability to have various coolant options i.e. you can cut WET or DRY, and they kinda extended that to Graphite machines that can also be re-tasked to cut aluminum (Thru-spindle coolant as option - if memory serves me right).

~ Wonder if Makino had an awareness of the Okuma Genos M-560 V and hence put a pallet changer on the front of the S56 and S33. (S 33 still available new -without pallet changer AFIK ?).

Makino has good support for second hand machines (dedicated team) but you have to subscribe and hand over $ / annual subscription (type of thing) i.e. it's not FREE.

Begs the question on second hand machines with integral box(ed) ways (integral to the casting) that were beautifully hand scraped and polished to micron straightness (full travel) what happens with an older / second hand machine (older than ten years) that was in a aggressive environment ? Do the ways need to be re-scraped etc. by a technician / machine tear down. Won't be as good or anywhere near as good as factory original ?

So seems a linear rolling element slide machine wouldn't be such a bad choice for second hand; from a replacement / maintenance point of view but the machine's basic squareness and geometry can be more "Off" after a few bad crashes etc. But could be set straight (theoretically). (Some builders use wedge-locked rails.).

Theoretically - box ways with hydrostatic-ish bearings can last almost indefinitely but if contaminants get in that could be an unfixable train wreck ~ makes me wonder about older Makino V33(s)+ V56(s). [box way - ultra precise .].

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Other builders like SHARP and Methods (custom to their spec from Taiwan) - lines have box way machines for more regular low end - high torque cutting that are more affordable.

Toyoda have VCM's like that: FV965. Seems to be difficult for the European branch to get me quote but probably better in the US.
Mori NVX (if you are REAL sure you have PROPER support where you are).

Back