Machine shop just had worst crash I have ever seen, Need help diagnosing - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    I don't know what you are saying? They don't make mistakes??? Well shit sign me up, we will farm all of our work out to them!
    Putting a 10 inch diameter offset cutter in a 40 taper mill with a maximum RPM of 12,000 RPM, when the machine max weight on a balanced tool is 12 pounds and the max diameter is 3.5 inches. That is what I meant. This was no small one man shop. Pretty good sized operation. Like I said, funny story now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    I run my spindles every morning. MDI ~ S1500M3 ~ Cycle Start ~ let run for 15minutes.

wheelie,

fwiw (and you may already know this): 1 5 0 0 CW does the same thing. No need to MDI. Not sure if NGC supports this though.

PM

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, Apparently the shop owner found this post and contacted me through my website letting me know his disapproval of the replies on here. He began by telling me the operator had put the tool in the spindle and simply went into MDI and hit spindle clockwise. It just so happened the last tool had been running at 12k. Haas has 10 user creatable G codes (G200-G210) and I have one I wrote that kills everything that post out right before the M30 (even setting spindle speed at 50 RPM before the M5. As I was explaining this to the guy I found out how much of an arrogant prick he was. I was offering to send him the G200 code and his response was "If someone needed to have something like that they shouldn't be in a shop". My response was ok, its just a handy code but if you don't think you need it then i understand. I then offered to write the guy a macro to limit the speed of a specified tool pocket and he informed me that no one uses macros anymore.

Apparently us people over at practical machinist are a bunch of lonely hobby shop guys with nothing better to do but chat about machines. Of course this tweaked me a bit so I stated that I keep seeing him referring to all his parts as "billet" and ask him if he knew the difference between billet, extruded, and forged. His response "Billet is an aircraft aluminum that is much stronger than regular aluminum." After that I just simply said ok, it was nice chatting with you and hung up.

4. Likes Milland, wheelieking71, Gobo, 2outof3, Ox and 5 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    His response "Billet is an aircraft aluminum that is much stronger than regular aluminum." After that I just simply said ok, it was nice chatting with you and hung up.
    Damn. If this is true, then I feel like an idiot for sticking up for them. Sounds like just another dumb shit after all. Sigh. People suck.

Thanks for the update.

6. Likes cameraman, Ox, gregormarwick liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Damn. If this is true, then I feel like an idiot for sticking up for them. Sounds like just another dumb shit after all. Sigh. People suck.

Thanks for the update.

I doubt that is the whole story.. but everyone has made up their mind anyways so who cares?

edit: Don't feel like an idiot Matt, I am mostly sticking up for them too just because of the "who knows what really happened" factor. Armchair quarterbacks and all that...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Always good to get updates on the story. Even if they leave you shaking your head...

9. Likes [email protected], Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Always good to get updates on the story. Even if they leave you shaking your head...

This is an update from the NOT op, why are we (you) taking his word? I would love to hear the real OP's follow up.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2outof3 View Post
    Putting a 10 inch diameter offset cutter in a 40 taper mill with a maximum RPM of 12,000 RPM, when the machine max weight on a balanced tool is 12 pounds and the max diameter is 3.5 inches. That is what I meant. This was no small one man shop. Pretty good sized operation. Like I said, funny story now.

I believe the COUNTERWEIGHT was making it balanced... but it is a lost cause now it seems. The OP is an idiot (not my words mind you) and should have never never never ever done what we have all done at one time or another...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, Apparently the shop owner found this post and contacted me through my website letting me know his disapproval of the replies on here. He began by telling me the operator had put the tool in the spindle and simply went into MDI and hit spindle clockwise. It just so happened the last tool had been running at 12k. Haas has 10 user creatable G codes (G200-G210) and I have one I wrote that kills everything that post out right before the M30 (even setting spindle speed at 50 RPM before the M5. As I was explaining this to the guy I found out how much of an arrogant prick he was. I was offering to send him the G200 code and his response was "If someone needed to have something like that they shouldn't be in a shop". My response was ok, its just a handy code but if you don't think you need it then i understand. I then offered to write the guy a macro to limit the speed of a specified tool pocket and he informed me that no one uses macros anymore.

Apparently us people over at practical machinist are a bunch of lonely hobby shop guys with nothing better to do but chat about machines. Of course this tweaked me a bit so I stated that I keep seeing him referring to all his parts as "billet" and ask him if he knew the difference between billet, extruded, and forged. His response "Billet is an aircraft aluminum that is much stronger than regular aluminum." After that I just simply said ok, it was nice chatting with you and hung up.
    Thanks for sharing that. At least we now know it was in fact NOT a machine error (didn't ever figure it was).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The weird thing is here, is IF this happens again and someone is killed then there IS a case for negligence as you offered fail safe codes to counteract the natural ability of these machines to be a "State" machine in combination with this particular "risky" tool. In other words there is a paper trail now.

I assume the shop operator will be planning to change something , so that can't happen again ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I posted the story earlier in this thread. But he may sound bad. You dont sound any better calling him a prick. Besides a fools offer of sending him a g200 g code ....lol that is funny... and his reaction. What else makes him sound like a prick. He laid it out nice and simple in the video. Not too hard to understand when he said the operator hit the CW key....he said that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And i will add because i know it all...just ask....that the replies on otherwise speculation were fkn stupid and ignorant raving of blind shop dog lunatics im which i take great pride in being

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

one thing that's confused me from the beginning. It appears to be a late model machine, judging by the Z covers. All my machines of similar age have a tool imbalance sensor. If I tried to run that tool over 1K, it would have just kicked the servos off. Maybe he has it disabled, which is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

The other thing, this is supposed to b a high end race shop? Most, if not all the race related people I've worked with are Uber neat freaks. Can't help but notice every bench and cart is covered in shit.

17. Likes 2outof3 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    one thing that's confused me from the beginning. It appears to be a late model machine, judging by the Z covers. All my machines of similar age have a tool imbalance sensor. If I tried to run that tool over 1K, it would have just kicked the servos off. Maybe he has it disabled, which is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

The other thing, this is supposed to b a high end race shop? Most, if not all the race related people I've worked with are Uber neat freaks. Can't help but notice every bench and cart is covered in shit.
    The tool is in balance …

It's just the 18,000 lb force (@12,000 rpm) caused the counter weight to break free of the aluminum arm.

The reaction force is instantaneous once the weight flies/ detaches so there's no way a spindle sensor can react to enable anything sensible to control the "Safety" of the situation.

19. Likes wheelieking71, Ox, gregormarwick liked this post
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I posted the story earlier in this thread. But he may sound bad. You dont sound any better calling him a prick. Besides a fools offer of sending him a g200 g code ....lol that is funny... and his reaction. What else makes him sound like a prick. He laid it out nice and simple in the video. Not too hard to understand when he said the operator hit the CW key....he said that.
    I said he was a prick due to his attitude on the phone with me, Not because he didn't except my help. Hes the one that called me complaining, and even after his rant about what people on PM are saying I still offered suggestions to possibly eliminate the risk of this happening again.
    As for the G200 custom? Whats wrong with embedding a safety code in a machine that just slung a projectile through 2 layers of sheet metal and poking a hole in a block wall?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Right...

Well I hope he recovers well. Nobody wants that to happen in a shop. If he is going to call you then maybe he cab call that kid who owns facef#ck and can ask him to take down his post that got a billion likes. On facebook and other social media there is no policing. Here there are moderators. So the gripe is....??? He didntike free speech? Should have never added that video to social media. That puts his shop in the limelight, redlight district and the blue light special.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Perhaps this would be a safer alternative moving forward:

23. Likes cameraman, 2outof3, mhajicek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I said he was a prick due to his attitude on the phone with me, Not because he didn't except my help. Hes the one that called me complaining, and even after his rant about what people on PM are saying I still offered suggestions to possibly eliminate the risk of this happening again.
    As for the G200 custom? Whats wrong with embedding a safety code in a machine that just slung a projectile through 2 layers of sheet metal and poking a hole in a block wall?
    Kudos for you offering help. In light of your convo with him, he needs it.

The fact remains: there is nothing wrong with that tool if used properly, by a qualified and competent user. Even in a CAT40 haas.
    If it is indeed made by Centroid? (I was able to find an image of something akin to it on their site)
    Centroid doesn't make (or re-badge) a machine that is any more robust than that haas. It works for them.

I'm not defending the guy in any way. Quite the contrary.
    My position from the beginning has only been to defend the haas. Imagine that (my opinion of haas lately is no secret).

And call out one guy for being judgmental. Don't come to my shop! There is dust and chips everywhere.
    And, the machines are way dirtier than his. I am such a hack.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    And call out one guy for being judgmental. Don't come to my shop! There is dust and chips everywhere.
    And, the machines are way dirtier than his. I am such a hack.
    You’re taking a throwaway line about the state of the guy’s shop pretty hard dude.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was going to say that the "proper" machine in this case (the Centroid) are not known to be solid machines.

I thought that his shop looked pretty good from my vantage point.

Not sure about the G200 thing, but it's only a cpl of keystrokes to add S50 to the second last line in any program, so .....???

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

27. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post