What's new
What's new

Machine Water Swivel

natemclain

Aluminum
Does anyone have any blue prints or know how to make a water swivel that could be used for a personal water well drilling rig?
I would like to machine the swivel out of aluminum as a trial and then use steel or bronze to cast the housing that would support the load of the drill stem.

Just curious if anyone has working knowledge of the concept and where I could possibly get the packing to make it as water tight as possible. Obviously the seals will wear with use.

Nate

This thread popping up was timely, for me anyway.

I have a customer's machine I have been helping maintain for the past couple of years. They recently called me to report they have a leaking swivel joint on one of the chiller lines. I researched online and saw many variations of different assemblies. The photographs below show the swivel and a close up showing some chinese characters. Could someone help me with a translation? Also, if anyone knows of a supplier, I'd be interested. I'm guessing it's metric. My client has ordered a replacement from China, so I will be able to disassemble the leaker and find the seal that is leaking. This machine has a dozen or more swivels and has been running for 2-1/2 years, so I am thinking we need to start a preventative maintenance program, or at least, have spares on hand.

Thanks in advance

chiller swivel.jpg

chiller swivel2.jpg

I have a customer's machine I have been helping maintain for the past couple of years. They recently called me to report they have a leaking swivel joint on one of the chiller lines. I researched online and saw many variations of different assemblies. The photographs below show the swivel and a close up showing some chinese characters. Could someone help me with a translation? Also, if anyone knows of a supplier, I'd be interested. I'm guessing it's metric. My client has ordered a replacement from China, so I will be able to disassemble the leaker and find the seal that is leaking. This machine has a dozen or more swivels and has been running for 2-1/2 years, so I am thinking we need to start a preventative maintenance program, or at least, have spares on hand.

Thanks in advance

View attachment 247107

View attachment 247108
These are called rotary unions, not swivels and Deublin is one of if not the biggest/best manufacturer of them. Link to their site:
Rotary Unions - Rotary Joints | Deublin Company

Thanks in advance

View attachment 247107

View attachment 247108

Do you have a clearer photo of the first two characters before bh And the left side values?

2019-03-05.jpg

Machined a couple pieces to make a drill rig water swivel. Bored out 1 1/2 Tee to receive 1 1/2 pipe. Going to make grove and use square Teflon rope packing to seal water pressure. Turned one side of shaft down for 1 7/16 gearbox and other side for a press fit to pipe and drilled similar to Coupling shafts for screw conveyor systems.

shafts-coupling-shaft.png

Any notes or pointer welcomed. Version 1.0

Back