What's new
What's new

Machining 30% Glass Filled PEEK, tips and tricks needed

laminar-flow

Stainless
I have a project to make a few prototype parts that are made of 30% Glass Filled PEEK.

I'll be using a Haas CNC and would like to machine dry with a vacuum to keep the machine clean but I'm not sure if this is necessary. I could use coolant and just vacuum up the mess after. I'm not worried about tool life because these are just a few prototype development parts.

The parts are about 1.250 square and 1" tall. Some drilling and tapping.

I would use 300-400 SFM as a start point on endmills. I use aluminum chip loads though.. I've used regular 2,3, even 4 flutes as long as they are super sharp.It cuts pretty well but it does wear tools ungodly fast.When I have cut it I use coolant. Face with an endmill because it will kill aluminum cutting inserts. If you can use carbide drills. That's all I can think of now.Harvey makes some coated tools that should hold up well in this stuff.

I've done some glass filled stuff...as said, it's rough on the cutters. Coolant is gonna keep from making a molten mess in the flutes. We always used uncoated as the coatings get messed up quickly.

Honestly if you’re just making a couple run it like any other plastic. Keep in mind it will warp like crazy so make sure you rough first and come back to it. I am talking half a mil on each surface I’ve had several small enclosure parts and holding roundness and flatness have easily been the biggest issues. Try and hold it as neutrally as possible.

HSS drills 100 sfm, 1/2D pecks with coolant hopefully. Your tapped holes will shrink a bit like any plastic.

Back