What's new
What's new

Machining and 3D surfacing Sterling Silver

Objects

Plastic
Anyone have any experience with feeds and speeds on sterling silver? Making a couple parts around 3" X 3" X 1/2" thick. I was thinking a Harvey Square Upcut Single Flute Plastic End Mill would work best with its super sharp cutting edge. Harvey recommended a standard uncoated aluminum cutter but I'm having my doubts and they had no information on feeds or speeds for me. Also Harvey PCD Diamond End Mills say they can be used on silver and gold but I cant get feeds and speeds for those either and at $300 for a 3/8 end mill I don't really want to pay that price to see if it works. Also don't want to wreck a piece of material that big trying to get it to work. Not quite sure what to do with this one other than go for it and see what happens.

No specifics I'm afraid but I can tell you from my experience engraving, manual turning and filing sterling that its a bit like copper but harder. Long chips, gummy, somewhat abrasive. Chips stick to the surface when cutters get dull, which is kinda fast with uncoated carbide. Hope that helps some.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Back