What's new
What's new

Machining A514 plate

CC

Aluminum
Looking for suggestions on good cutting tools for use on A514 steel? The machine is a large horizontal boring mill. Many of the parts are cut out on a burn table before machining so there are hard areas along the edges. We have used some carbide but have had issues with breakage on the hard spots. High speed steel wears out quickly. Just looking for any suggestions on what others are actually doing to machine this stuff as economically as possible. Thanks in advance.....

Looking for suggestions on good cutting tools for use on A514 steel? The machine is a large horizontal boring mill. Many of the parts are cut out on a burn table before machining so there are hard areas along the edges. We have used some carbide but have had issues with breakage on the hard spots. High speed steel wears out quickly. Just looking for any suggestions on what others are actually doing to machine this stuff as economically as possible. Thanks in advance.....

Try Ingersoll feeder.
I always having good results with them...1086EA6A-ADB9-4040-B3F4-B8056878EC93.jpeg

We machine a bunch of A514.
The weldments get profiling, facing, Ø=depth slotting, drilling/ c-boring, etc.

I ran a test (years ago) comparing 1/2" endmills for the slotting, and profiling. IIRC, it was a few different manufacturers.
The best overall performer was the Imco Powerfeed, 4fl, HP, AlTin coated, with a corner radius.
This tool would also have to slot 1/2" W x 1/2" deep, and across / through welded material.

For rough face milling, we went with a Ø2.5" feed-mill style indexable cutters from Iscar, and finishing with a "16-mill" from the same mfg.

link to my old post --> Imco powerfeed Vs Hanita Varimill Vs YG1 V7 heads up test

Back