What's new
What's new

Machining a circle quadrant

Carbenengltd

Plastic
Hi All, New here..

Need a little advice on machining a quarter or a circle, Radius is 741.5 and the machine is a DPM5000 with prototrak age 3 control. i know my way around the programming but im missing something. Its just an arc surely but my heads burnt out with it.

I think you're "missing" a very large Drafting Compass. Still trying to decide if you need help with spare change or arc segments. (Illegal to duplicate money-even Quarters).

Kid, give us something to work with. Where are you running into trouble? Prototrak controls are basically fool proof......:(

R

I think you're "missing" a very large Drafting Compass. Still trying to decide if you need help with spare change or arc segments. (Illegal to duplicate money-even Quarters).

Kid, give us something to work with. Where are you running into trouble? Prototrak controls are basically fool proof......:(

R
math help: polar to cartesian formula - Google Search

But the problem may be much more wrapping your head around setup and work-holding. The arc segment will fit on your mill but not with a lot of room to spare. Clamping may be more of a challenge unless you can have holes in your quadrant. Since you can't machine this in one setup shifting from doing the arc to finishing the sides will be somewhat of a fiddle. Or you can start with
a piece with the sides at 90 degrees to each other and clamp that up so you know where the center is and that the arc is well contained by the table. Beyond the advice above which is worth about what you paid for it all I can say is have fun.
Let us know how you come out.

Back