What's new
What's new

Machining duplex 2205 stainless

RJT

Titanium
UNS S32205 ASTM A276

The thread I started yesterday was incorrect, material is not 304 but what is stated above. How does it compare with machining 304? Specifically, turn, face, drill ,bore and cut off (no milling).

It's kinda gummy, it doesn't like too slow, it will kinda tear off instead of cutting, and it doesn't like too fast or it'll eat tools quick but in the sweet spot and feed its alright. It's quite stringy, doesn't break a good chip, or any chips sometimes, not with what I do anyway.

UNS S32205 ASTM A276

The thread I started yesterday was incorrect, material is not 304 but what is stated above. How does it compare with machining 304? Specifically, turn, face, drill ,bore and cut off (no milling).

i machined a bunch of this stuff along with its cousin Zeron 100

Id compare it to tough 316...stringy chips and hell on drills..needless to say carbide all day

We machine this stuff all the time. 2205 is just a level above SS316. You'll see a slight increase in difficulty going from SS316 to 2205.

You'll be fine with turning and facing.

Drilling must be done with coolant thru. We use ISCAR DR u-drills with IC908 grade inserts. The feeds & speeds are exactly as listed on their chart. Do not peck drill. This stuff work hardens! You will blow up a drill if you peck.

Boring will be quite difficult due to long stringy chips. Don't trust any "chip breaker" geometry. It may work on carbon or ss304, but 2205 is much stronger and work hardens. If you gather the long stringy chips, you can wind them into a very strong rope... You will have to spend a lot of time dialing in the feeds/speeds for adequate chip breaking.

Lastly, if you are asked to quote machining of 2507 in the future. Increase your price! It is considerably worse on tooling than 2205.

Back