What's new
What's new

machining hardened Stainless? Need some help.

Cismontguy

Aluminum
Hello Forum,

I have a client who has asked me to help him modify all his dial indicator calipers. These calipers have "hardened Stainless Steel outside jaws (Item #1 in the picture attached) that have to have their shape changed. A contour and radius machined, like with a ball mill. My question is can this material be CNC machined using some tooling I can easily buy or would they have to be ground to shape. All helpful and constructive ideas will be appreciated. I have a bunch to do and they cannot be hand made or ground.

Cismontguy

Vernier_caliper.svg.jpg

I doubt these are "hard" by the definition most folks on this board call "hard". They are probably machinable with HSS, carbide will even machine "hard" materials.

I've never found caliper jaws to be very hard, they tend to bend their tips unless they have carbide faces.

You should be able to check the hardness with some cheap hardness files or just hit it with a file and get a sense of how gummy it is.

If it's low volume, an HSS cutter will probably work, if it's more than 10, carbide would be a good choice.

If they are Starretts a dull carbon steel endmill should do it...

Just for fun, because working sucks.. Just put a torched pair of Mits on the rockwell
tester.... 51C.. Easy carbide territory..

I just chewed up a bunch of parallels at a 55C with some regular old TiAlN coated carbide, no
problem at all.

Thanks for all your help. Sorry about the picture. It was the only one I could find at the end of the day. The calipers I am working on have a dial indicator (not digital). It makes NO difference for the job.

Regards,

Cismontguy

Back