What's new
What's new

Machining Rene 41!!!

Don't

I did a lot of work with this crap many years back. Machine rigidity is #1 issue. SFM in the single digits. Quote as if it were 4140Ht and multiply it by 20 and you might break even. No, I'm not kidding.

Rene 41 Tech Data

It'll help to know what machines you have access to. Rigid, powerful lathes may lend themselves to trying ceramics over carbide for roughing once you have a uniform surface. Carbide for finishing to minimize material stress. Interrupted cuts mean carbide with many insert changes.

this ^^^

Rene 41 is also known as Ball Bustrum

So Hurco just posted something on Instagram about this - running a ceramic cutter in Rene 41 to drop cycle time from 6 hours to 6 minutes.

NTK Cutting Tools supplied the tool.

So Hurco just posted something on Instagram about this - running a ceramic cutter in Rene 41 to drop cycle time from 6 hours to 6 minutes.

NTK Cutting Tools supplied the tool.

Turning?
I am betting they did the old school slow way on the 6 hour time. meaning CNMG 433 or 633. but we shaved out times in half just using carbide alone changing the cnmg 6 series to a SNMG432 (square insert) roughing the stock obvious then picking it out with a cnmg after roughing most the meat off.
we use round ceramics to rough them out also then picked out with a cnmg and usually finished with that or a tpg 322 depending on profile.

we tried the cnmg ceramics back in the 90's but they just didnt hold up.

would love to see a pic of there part and the tools they used both the 6 hour way and the 6 min way.

if they were doing it on a mill they compared it to an old acroloc times.

I dont know if hurco makes lathes.

The video I mentioned was milling; I forgot this thread was asking about turning since it was in the OP but not the title.

Back