What's new
What's new

Macro Programming For Load Monitoring

nightsky84

Aluminum
Hello all,
We have a Doosan Puma TT1800SY Lathe with the fanuc 31i Model B controller. We are wanting to run a few hours of parts after the shop is shut down. We tried this for half a bar day 1 and everything went fine and smooth. Day 2 our drill broke. Normally this lathe has an air bag pmc function that will sense the load and stop the machine. The tool broke on the way out. What I am wanting to do is use a macro variable to detect the tool being over its load limit and stop the machine. I'm new to macro programming so this is definitely not something I know how to do. I want to learn though and any information or links to learning how to macro program would be greatly helpful. In the mean time if anyone knows how to do this I could really use the help. I'm not sure what the load on the tool is at the moment but lets just start out saying good tool is 70 bad is 80+ just as a start until I really look into the loads and figure out what my numbers are. Thanks in advance!!

The only suggestions I have are:

Is tool life management an option you could have turned on for that control?

I highly doubt there is a system variable that you could read regarding Z axis load. That leaves macro programming out.

Do you have a tool presetter on the lathe? You could measure the tool after each time it runs, assign it to an empty offset and compare to the correct offset. Some probing software comes with tool breakage cycles, or you could write a macro for this.

Change the drill before running lights out.

That's all I got.

Hello all,
We have a Doosan Puma TT1800SY Lathe with the fanuc 31i Model B controller. We are wanting to run a few hours of parts after the shop is shut down. We tried this for half a bar day 1 and everything went fine and smooth. Day 2 our drill broke. Normally this lathe has an air bag pmc function that will sense the load and stop the machine. The tool broke on the way out. What I am wanting to do is use a macro variable to detect the tool being over its load limit and stop the machine. I'm new to macro programming so this is definitely not something I know how to do. I want to learn though and any information or links to learning how to macro program would be greatly helpful. In the mean time if anyone knows how to do this I could really use the help. I'm not sure what the load on the tool is at the moment but lets just start out saying good tool is 70 bad is 80+ just as a start until I really look into the loads and figure out what my numbers are. Thanks in advance!!

I work for Doosan. All of our machines have load monitoring software built into the machine software. You can find it in the EOP software when you press the "CUSTOM 1" button. Talk to your dealer about getting trained on the software.

Paul Anderson
Applications Engineer
Doosan Machine Tools America
[email protected]

I don't know Doosan, so take with a grain of salt...

On Haas controls you can set a max "load" on each tool, BUT lets say a tool runs at the spindle limit (10k on ours), it trips the load meter getting up to 10k, then alarms out. You really need IMO, a way to detect a min/max load with a timer of sorts, say 2-3 seconds.

I work for Doosan. All of our machines have load monitoring software built into the machine software. You can find it in the EOP software when you press the "CUSTOM 1" button. Talk to your dealer about getting trained on the software.

Paul Anderson
Applications Engineer
Doosan Machine Tools America
[email protected]

Thank you! I will definitely look into that!

The only suggestions I have are:

Is tool life management an option you could have turned on for that control?

I highly doubt there is a system variable that you could read regarding Z axis load. That leaves macro programming out.

Do you have a tool presetter on the lathe? You could measure the tool after each time it runs, assign it to an empty offset and compare to the correct offset. Some probing software comes with tool breakage cycles, or you could write a macro for this.

Change the drill before running lights out.

That's all I got.

Only problem with that is the bar stock is in the way of our quick setter. Unless there is a way to macro it to not pull the stock out to cut it off but I have a feeling that might be difficult because of how far the stock is out from the chuck just to be able to cut the part off....our toolholder kind of limits us.

I don't know Doosan, so take with a grain of salt...

On Haas controls you can set a max "load" on each tool, BUT lets say a tool runs at the spindle limit (10k on ours), it trips the load meter getting up to 10k, then alarms out. You really need IMO, a way to detect a min/max load with a timer of sorts, say 2-3 seconds.

To throw another control that the OP DOESN'T actually have into this (bringing it up because there may be a similar option), on our Okuma machines there are codes to ignore rapid commands within cycles specifically where the loads spike. We also have a "warning" threshold (part finishes and there will be a stored soft alarm that you can go to at the end of the cycle) and the drop dead, "halt" threshold where a complete stop is triggered. To be honest I don't think I've ever monitored the main spindle load on our lathes. Part size vs machine size, I feel I get better sensitivity out of the moving axes.

Back