What's new
What's new

Major Dream Holder BT30 ?

ipmmiller

Cast Iron
....z z z z :sleepy:..z z z......must buy new collet chucks...z z z z z :Yawn:...z z z z
should look impossible to tighten nut....z z z z ......:sleepy:..z z z z znikkenbt30.jpgnikkenbt302.jpgnikkenbt303.jpgnikkenbt304.jpg ..:eek:..WTF!.....:drink:.... z z z z :sleepy:..z z z z ...

...:sleepy:z z z z... must pass japanese osha ,blood..explosive?...z z z .....:sleepy: z z z z.....buy zero flute end mills when i wake up!.... z z z z z

I thought the reason for the smooth nut was to reduce nose diameter as well as coolant vaporization.

....:sleepy:z z z z ....logical esssplanations not part of dream...z z z z :sleepy:z z z z
z...remove wheels from truck in morning to save tire wear ....z z z z:sleepy:z z z

Command had some of these stubby BT30 holders a few years ago. Besides being American made, they came with wrenching slots. Might check with them, they may still be in stock.
I can understand a nut getting pulled off the line with no slots, but the guy that put the nut on the holder was the one sleeping.

I have seen a version of this designed to be tightened with a wrench like a sprag clutch. It had needle rollers on ramps on the ID. Maybe this uses the same idea.

zr791.jpg

you just need one of these fancy $$$ wrenches....pretty cool actually

Actually, it isn't a slipup on Nikken's part.
That nut is in fact what it supposed to be:
Look on the bottom of page1 for the wrench, obviously sold separately:

http://nikken-world.com/arinclude/dl/uploads/toolpdf1/pdffile1_125N1HzRgxvV.pdf/as/Major-Dream.pdf

And I am sure you need a different wrench for every holder, and they are not going to be standard so you have to buy the wrench from them...

Oh well, neat looking holders, didnt Big Diashowa have those about 6 years ago?

Charles

I have seen a version of this designed to be tightened with a wrench like a sprag clutch. It had needle rollers on ramps on the ID. Maybe this uses the same idea.

You have it in one, all part of money grabbing tool companies great master plan to break the machining trade ahead of everyone else.

smooth style caps have been around a long time.... I've got a few hundred of them Nikken and more from Kaiser as well.

There's a number of advantages to this style which is why some builders have gone in this direction with high precision and high speed holders. Both Nikken and Kaiser have smooth sides on their high end mill chucks as well. The picture JMC posted is exactly the type of wrench used to tighten these types of nuts. Nikken's type has a "ratchet" switch for changing directions and Kaiser uses a one way type (so you flip the wrench over depending on if you're tightening or breaking loose).

It's easy to say that it's a marketing scam but there are functional reasons for them. The bad is that there is no standard so Kaiser types are not the same as Nikken.

Functionaly, the style leads to: better balance management, better coolant control, less windage (particularly important to ultra high rpm apps), slimmer nose cap which also helps for slimmer body shank,

I wish I could have some smooth collet nuts for my ER16 collet holders!
At 24,000 RPM the coolant blasts into a fine mist and a dense fog.
The slightest change in a coolant hose makes a big difference in how much coolant you need in one shift.
Whatever hits the collet nut slots is blasted into fog, and does no good for the part.

The sprag clutch wrench works great.

Frank M. ... Will you make these smooth collet nuts, please?

thanks all, had'nt seen this style nut and the chuck looked real nice for the money,new 45.00 on ebay.....but no wrench.We called this a one way clutch in auto transmission sun gears and i have one small one way wrench off the snap-on truck that is used on a screwdriver shaft the same way for more torque,works great and we never saw a one way fail in a trans so its a good design.Makes sense now that im awake.......but the japanese speak name still makes me laugh a little.

That Major Dream holder actually has a vibration dampening system built into it. I'm using one for a rough bore application (interpolating a PCD end mill). I went from screaming so loud you thought the machine was going to explode...to quiet as a mouse - same feeds, speeds, etc. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat for milling work.

smooth style caps have been around a long time.... I've got a few hundred of them Nikken and more from Kaiser as well.

There's a number of advantages to this style which is why some builders have gone in this direction with high precision and high speed holders. Both Nikken and Kaiser have smooth sides on their high end mill chucks as well. The picture JMC posted is exactly the type of wrench used to tighten these types of nuts. Nikken's type has a "ratchet" switch for changing directions and Kaiser uses a one way type (so you flip the wrench over depending on if you're tightening or breaking loose).

It's easy to say that it's a marketing scam but there are functional reasons for them. The bad is that there is no standard so Kaiser types are not the same as Nikken.

Functionaly, the style leads to: better balance management, better coolant control, less windage (particularly important to ultra high rpm apps), slimmer nose cap which also helps for slimmer body shank,

But.. but... will my 36 inch cheater bar work with it. I don't stop pulling 'til I hear that little tik, tik, noise.
Otherwise my brazed carbide endmills slip...

Back