Login to Your Account
    Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Making a deep hole - Haas ST-30Y

Hi,
    I have worked a lot with plastics, mostly POM-C, but I am inexperienced with 316L.
    I'm planning to take a Ø160mm 316L bolt which is 180mm long and turn a hole which has a ID of 132mm and depth of 150mm.

What's the best way to get started?
    Because I prefer a flat surface in the end of the hole I was thinking of using a roughing end mill to full depth before using an ID turning tool. Is there a better and more sensible way? A drill bit (with coolant?)would work out less expensive & they are offered in the cutting length I require. The end of the hole would not be flat though - I would need to overshoot to allow ID turning tool to work at full depth.

Side note:
    Until now we've done most of our work on a half-decent manual lathe and mill.
    We plan to purchase a Haas ST30-Y so that we can make more parts in-house, rather than facing long lead times with subcontractors in a heated market.

Many thanks for all tips!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure what size they go up to, but I know Allied Machine and Engineering makes some flat spade inserts to go in their TA series drills. I have also worked with them on several specials and had a good experience.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Schjell View Post
    Hi,
    I have worked a lot with plastics, mostly POM-C, but I am inexperienced with 316L.
    I'm planning to take a Ø160mm 316L bolt which is 180mm long
    I'm assuming that "bolt" is Norwegian for blank or something, and not a Fastener.

This is not a difficult hole to make. Drill it as big as is realistic, then use a Boring bar and finish the size and flat bottom.

R

Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are correct Rob - a "blank" is what I meant.
    Planning to get this one for making centerhole.

Thanks for the input guys.

KR
    John

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Okay, I really like Kennametal's DF series. Others do not!! They are very loud if you're running them right. You need to get coolant through the Drill, no exceptions. I would start at 3/4 of the recommended Speed and half the Feed. Just to start. I've drilled a Million holes with them. They are really tough for indexable Drills, but they are still indexable Drills, so they need attention. Coolant mixture, good flow, alignment, no pecking.

R

6. Likes Schjell liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would look at an Ultradex inserted drill. On an ST30 you can push even a 2” drill probably bigger. Then an Everede 1.25” carbide shank boring bar to rough and finish the ID. Granted not cheap - probably $4000 just in the tools. But you would definitely have a good hole pretty fast.

8. Likes Schjell liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it truly has to be flat bottom and you lack tools for a flat bottom, once in a while I jab a wnmg boring bar to Z depth as close to X centerline as I can. It will always leave a conical part in the center of the bottom bore face. Once there is a little cone left on center of the bottom face, reverse the spindle and get the bar on the forbidden side (X-) of the part. You can then actually touch the Z depth and face toward center from there. A boring bar can turn a part too with the spindle in reverse and if you have the reach to get to it on the X- side... As for gutting the hole, you are on your own as you know $ vs. time is your prerogative. Let me know if this is confusing, but I use it often to get pristine flat bottom holes in the lathe. !