What's new
What's new

Making lapping plates

n4nv

Aluminum
I decided to make some lapping plates pre Tom Lipton's video. I used my CNC mill like a shaper. The side loads were very light so I don't think it bothered the machine. The load was a lot lighter than snapping a 3/4" end mill while G00 instead of G1.

Making lapping plates - YouTube

Vince

I lap precision parts on a similar size plate. Grooves would be nothing but trouble and I don't really understand what they do. The plate is 6" diameter x 5/8" Durabar cast iron. I grind them flat on the surface grinder. Then diamond compound gets embedded in the surface using a dowel pin and heavy pressure from a metal bar to roll it in. They last a surprisingly long time before needing a recharge. We also have a small Lapmaster planetary lapping machine with a plain cast iron plate- no grooves. That would probably work better with a grooved plate (which we have) but it would swallow the parts.

I don't have a surface grinder so I will have to lap them to each other using the 3 plate method. Not having grooves in them would allow a film to form on them and prevent them from lapping evenly. My goal is to get them to a few millionths flat. That a couple of order of magnitude flatter than a surface grinder, especially one found in a garage like mine. I have an optical flat and a monochromatic light source to check them.

Vince

"A few Millionths" is not much, unless you mean a few as in 25.

I have lapping plates at almost every Machine. I don't get anywhere near as fancy as you guys. I use whatever material is laying around, I face Mill them very fast. What I'm after is a corner to corner Flatness of a tenth or less, but a rough surface finish 62 or 125 is fine, not finer than a 62 though.

R

Cleaning and preventing contamination of plates with older, courser grit will be an issue, you'll need really good technique to get that flat in a garage.

Even your body temperature transferred to the plates (where you're holding it) will cause distortions, you'll need to have some sort of thermal isolation grips for the plates. Heck, the friction of plate to plate rubbing will cause some bowing, wouldn't it?

I grooved several dozen lapping plates over a period of years for an optics application. Flat lapping on Hoffman PR series machines.

I've got the gang of slitting saws still mounted on the horizontal arbor, hanging on the wall behind the mill.

Grooves are a necessity if you want to be able to control the lapping plates. And If a large bit of airborn grit falls on the lap, the grooves give it a place to go. No matter where you start, the lapping process changes both laps and the work. There is a need to play work piece loading, weighting, and speed along with slurry delivery to hold flatness.

Single sided lapping still needs a segmented plate for the stray grit issue, with the conditioning ring location doing the lap correction. Without an interferometer, You are guessing, or playing rough. I suppose a Talysurf could be used to check the work. but not as easily

Wow! Very cool and thanks for taking the time to put together the video and share! One question - why *scrape* the grooves in it instead of using an 1/8” em or similar?

That was a waste of 15 minutes.

R

Aluminum lapping plates... (naked).

I don't get it, unless I have some really hard cheese that I need to be really flat...

(Am I missing something ?)

Although Elon Musk did launch a wheel of cheese into space* with it's own engineered environment , so I guess some engineer had various callouts for cheese tolerances.

Manchego can be pretty hard, even harder than Red Leicester; how do you get diamond paste out of cheese ?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

* Wheel of Cheese Launched Into Space On Private Spacecraft | Space

Back