What's new
What's new

Makino rmc 55 conversational programing

DAVIDGRANT

Plastic
Was hoping someone out there has experience with conversational programing on a 1992 model RMC 55 with Fanuc 0m-f controller.
Bought machine from dealer without manual, had to wait 4months for programing manual (for Fanuc controller) from Japan.
Makino couldn't supply actual machine manual.
Long story short,ran through manual and found a few things I couldn't figure out on my own.
Still can't run a program created in conversational format.
Think I'm following proper steps but I get a 551 error code if program is created entirely in conversational, and if I just try to insert
a conversational command into a program created not using initial(item 1 in conversational menu)and end of program(item 2 in conversational menu)
the G code for item ( G170 & G171 for circle pocket is inserted into program)but ignored when program runs.
Totally frustrated
Run my shop at night as second job(metal stamping die maker during day, not cnc guy), all around machining at night.
Trying to figure this out as manual programing takes me forever compared to entering info on conversational.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

I have an RMC55 of about that vintage we bought new with a full set of manuals. We use Mastercam so don't use the conversational (plus I have 10 other CNC machines) l. I have a supplementary manual that addresses the conversational. Send me a PM and maybe we can work something out. Looks like some parameters may need to be set to use it, and it looks pretty clumsy, but it may be useful. I would recommend you learn straight G code, it will be much more useful in the long run. More flexible and transferable to other machine tools. But contact me if you still want the conversational manual.

I have an acquaintance that has an RMC55 that I use to use quite a bit before getting my own CNC. It had a primitive conversational capability (CAP function) and I recall poking around in it but elected to just program with the CAM software I had at the time or just finger CAM it.

This sounds like a different version of conversational than what you have though. I don't recall CAP having G170 or G171. Those sound to me like calls to macro programs similar to how Mori did conversational programming on the MORIC control of the early 80s.

Every Moric control that I saw ultimately had the conversational data erased. This gave the user an additional 512k worth of memory to run CAM generated code. I wonder if similar may have been done to your machine and the reason for the alarms and non-working G170 and G171 codes.

Last edited:
Rmc 55

I have an RMC55 of about that vintage we bought new with a full set of manuals. We use Mastercam so don't use the conversational (plus I have 10 other CNC machines) l. I have a supplementary manual that addresses the conversational. Send me a PM and maybe we can work something out. Looks like some parameters may need to be set to use it, and it looks pretty clumsy, but it may be useful. I would recommend you learn straight G code, it will be much more useful in the long run. More flexible and transferable to other machine tools. But contact me if you still want the conversational manual.

Thanks very much for reply
Like I said in post I'm a toolmaker trying to run cnc machine(probably doomed from start)
I design on solid works and have copy of solid cam that I fumble through to post more complicated programs but don't have link to machine so have to enter programs manually(another thing I haven't figured out)spent my career building dies and now trying to learn the computer end of machining on my own.
Showing my ignorance and probably age, I don't know what a PM is.I do pretty well with straight g code programing just not good with organizing to write and save sub programs to run. Spend most of time doing die and fixture work,and finding I need to run cnc more and more but mostly for single pieces on the fly with geometry that is mostly covered in menus for conversational.
I tried for months to locate manuals for machine with no luck. Would be very thankful for any help on manuals.I am thinking there probably are parameters that need to be changed but seems like the Fanuc manual I received may have gaps I can't figure out
Thanks again for your time

PM stands for Private Message. Click on the user name of the person you want to send a Private Message to. A box will open and one of the choices will be Private Message. Click that and it will take you to your Private Message screen.

Not sure at all
Thanks for your reply, like I said I,m toolmaker trying to figure out enough on machine to get by
Conversational menu pulls up and seems like it's intact. Has routines for facing,contour milling,pocketing,drilling and even tapping
When used it graphically runs you through all parameters for operation and seems like it creates G codes that correspond to Fanuc manual, just throws 551 error code.
Graphics won't even run when I just enter conversational part of program into manually created program
Runs right over those blocks like not even there, but no errors
I'm pretty lost ( usually how things go when I'm trying to learn something new) My shop is full of older machines that nobody uses anymore. Took me almost 6 months to get comfortable with wire machine(1992 sodick 280l) Not a lot of people to ask help on that one either
Anyway, thanks for your time
if you had any additional advise it would be greatly appreciated

Back