What's new
What's new

Manufacturing process for this part

nikoladbc

Plastic
Hello to everyone, i machined few pieces very similiar to this part that is used for siegmund welding tables... but at my shop, it involved first machining two pieces of raw, then welding them together to form angle shape, and then, again machining in 5-6 steps to get final part, where i used 3 types of clamping, due to height of the piece....

I am curious about professional manufacturing process of this part, for serial production, are pieces machined from cast, or does every piece goes to grinding procces etc...

Just curious, not trying to start business to compete with siegmund :D

280112.jpg

I would guess it depends on how many you are making at one time, and if there will be follow on orders.

If it were me, I would approach it one of 2 different ways. (assuming 20-100 pcs)

20 pcs= laser, waterjet, or high def. plasma, the blanks as close to final as allowed.
Finish machine them in 2 opps, with standard tooling, and milling practices, & using a reverse, corner rounding, cutter, to round over the underside, and a standard roundover cutter on the top surface.
Reverse Corner Rounding Tools - Series 67

67 - REVERSE_ROUNDER.jpg

100 pcs (or more) = use a 4th axis (with whatever fixturing needed) to present the inside / outside / front edge.
If the blank stock was long enough to allow for an endmill to slot/slice off the part, then it is done in 1 opp.
Leave little tabs like this, if you must.

tab holding part.jpg

Doug

Hello to everyone, i machined few pieces very similiar to this part that is used for siegmund welding tables... but at my shop, it involved first machining two pieces of raw, then welding them together to form angle shape, and then, again machining in 5-6 steps to get final part, where i used 3 types of clamping, due to height of the piece....

I am curious about professional manufacturing process of this part, for serial production, are pieces machined from cast, or does every piece goes to grinding procces etc...

Just curious, not trying to start business to compete with siegmund :D

View attachment 286711

Please submit a fully dimensioned & toleranced drawing.

Everything else is simply "Arm Waving"

As Doug in #2 said.
Waterjet should cut lots of nested blanks with very little waste, then finish machine as appropriate.
Seems thick for laser.

If the parts are about a4 size, about 5 minutes / side/part, to do the profiles.

Endless ways to make it efficient.

Maybe the jet could leave tabs, and the part could be undercut and finished all in one.
In alu and CI this should work, perhaps with live clamping (that can move out of the way).

Perhaps the slots and chamfers can be done with the part flat.
Custom tool maybe for chamfers, or slots cut from side, but only one op, with last op cutting it free from tabs.

Or cut 10, then rack them back side up, and do the slots and chamfers for all 10, aligned via jig pins.
You could do the chamfers from behind, via a suitable cutter, if the radius / width permits depending on material.

As everyone said, and as always.

How many ?
Desired tolerance, ballpark ?
Aka 15 mm radius and looks good cosmetically, is a good definition.
Desired speed ?

Your post seemed to indicate == 10 units at 2 days, ballpark.

Most here would want the job to move at 5 units per hour at 30$ each, 150$ machining shop rate.
And many here expect exact 3d curve tolerances and finishes defined by Rx values.

But those guys are perfectly willing to spend 500$ in materials, jigs, and 300$ in time to make up a production fixture.
They would also expect to make at least 30-50-100 pieces at 30$ each.

With any basic probing for location, I would expect to make about 10 parts per hour on any semi decent vmc.
Size a4 or less, easy material, cosmetics not critical.
4 ops, max, 2-3 if custom tools are appropriate, depending.
After about 4 hours of nre non recurring engineering charge, at 150$, 600$, or so.

Somewhere around 10-15-20 pcs / hr are possible, in brass/ci/alu if the job is big enough and worth investing effort in.
It´s somewhat straightforward to gear up to make 2000 in easy materials (alu) and no critical tolerances.

Your post re:welding indicates steel.
It may be hard or impossible to do the near-end slot in steel, from up front, as the upfront piece may likely foul the spindle.
If the height is about 150-200 mm as seems likely, only a solid carbide cutter with small tip would work, with such a long overhang.

From reverse side, a rougher and a finish cutter might make a nice curved slot in good order.
Depending on radi, it might be impossible to feed them through the slot.

A horizontal traditional mill might chew the front slot and radius quickly.
It would either need accepting whatever radius they have in tooling, or paying for a custom tool, typically 500€+, and 3 weeks to get one.

Please indicate quantity, materials, accuracy tolerance, and approx. desired time and costs.

In days done by these probably would be burnt from plate. Today I would say waterjet. With a water jet the slot could be easily cut. Finish on a mill and drill the holes.

Alternately, these could be cut from an extrusion or rolled shape. Cutting from a shape could also have the advantage of simple fixturing for cutting the holes and slots.

Tom

Well, lets say 1000 pcs for a month...I am looking at siegmund web site now, dimensions are LxWxHxT = 175x50x275x25... siegmund have its own some sort of super alloy, but i machined s355j2 steel... well , accuracy tolerance would be, lets say 0,05

For water jet, you mean cutting L profile from plate, and then rotating again in 2 steps to open up holes and slot?

Thank you all for time.

Well, lets say 1000 pcs for a month...I am looking at siegmund web site now, dimensions are LxWxHxT = 175x50x275x25... siegmund have its own some sort of super alloy, but i machined s355j2 steel... well , accuracy tolerance would be, lets say 0,05

For water jet, you mean cutting L profile from plate, and then rotating again in 2 steps to open up holes and slot?

Thank you all for time.

Are you trying to steal this part from the OEM ?

We have Lots of the same angle clamps by Siegmund. They are purdy nice, and also have a nice price tag.

From memory, they seem to be a forging most likely. They are machined and some type of grinding, then stamped with mm increments. The holes are very precision on dia and position

Back