What's new
What's new

Market for Replacement Optical Spindle Probe

Bruce Griffing

Titanium
So I am curious to know if the PM denizens think there is a market for a replacement spindle probe. Suppose you had a Renishaw optical spindle probe and it was lost in a crash. You can return the pieces to Renishaw and get a reduced price on a replacement. OR Would you be interested in a rechargeable spindle probe with the same specs. Both the probe and receiver would be replaced, but the function would be the same, except for the rechargeability of the probe. Cost would be around $1500 for either CAT40 or straight shank.

There's a lot of engineering that goes into spindle probes. I have a hard time believing that you could replace the optical pickup and probe body for less than the cost of an R&R from Renishaw.

There's a lot of engineering that goes into spindle probes. I have a hard time believing that you could replace the optical pickup and probe body for less than the cost of an R&R from Renishaw.

I appreciate your thought, but that does not answer the question I asked. The probe already exists anyway.

I’m not sure if you’re talking about a 3rd party spindle probe replacement program? Or just a different brand spindle probe? $1,500 for probe and receiver sounds pretty cheap for everything to me.

I am talking about a functional equivalent with the added feature of rechargeable batteries. The approximate price of $1500 covers the probe and receiver - not the software. Presumably, the owner of the original probe already owns software.

Why?

Replacement OMP 40-2 bodies are on eBay used for about $1300. NIB from distributors often go down to $1800 for the body only. If you want some gray market action outta China (where Renishaw sells these for absurdly lower prices), you can get them for $800 with reviewers saying they are the real-deal.

Making a wireless spindle probe is f-ing hard. Renishaw is not the cheapest or the most exotic option (see: Heidenhain), but damn if they don't have something like 30+ years of experience making these to be absurdly reliable.

Now, if you want to sell a complete/new probe package for $1500? You've got a huge market of potential buyers for whom that price is a "take a flier and try it" option. Ripping out a $6000 probe system to replace it with some untested, unproven thing? I wouldn't.

And if the software is a holdup? I wouldn't buy sweet fuck all going into a machine tool from you. If you can't write some basic probing macros in Fanuc, you have no business making kit like this. My dumb ass wrote my own probing macros...

Gcode software would be no problem. Fancy graphical software, tuned for specific controls or machine builders is a different matter. I will investigate the availability of Renishaw probe bodies at the prices you suggest. Surprising if true.

I might buy a full kit for $1500 right now. Where do I pay?

If it includes everything EXCEPT some critical component like a software interface that requires purchasing from you, no way. But if it includes every part and it works to half a tenth I’d serious consider buying it right now.

Like anything with machine tools, there’s no bullshitting. These aren’t a budget enterprise and if a budget probe system costs more time than it saves it’s going out the window.

....I will investigate the availability of Renishaw probe bodies at the prices you suggest. Surprising if true.
6-8 years ago, I bought a half dozen or more MP8 and MP10 probes for never more than $500-$600 as well as the MI12 interface units and OMP receivers to retrofit on a bunch of older machines in the plant I was working at. Some came from eBay (always a bit risky) and the rest from Boeing surplus sales (those were almost always new, never used parts).

Only bought one OMP60 as a replacement for a crashed unit and IIRC paid ~$1000 from ebay. As with many things on ebay, timing is everything.

If one is looking to solve the problem of smashed existing probe, then the $1500 deal is not very tempting. But if the task is equipping the "empty machine" with complete system, then it could be interesting. BUT …
As I deeply dislike monopolies, I've been looking for years for "new player" in the field of machine tool probing equipment suppliers. Had some adventures with Czech and Chinese firms who pretended to have the answers. Unfortunately it always failed once the obvious questions have been asked: long lasting repeatability, machine tool environment endurance, conformance with international electrical interference and radiation standards. So at the end, thousands of CNC producers throughout the world use the probing systems from 5 suppliers only: Renishaw, Marposs, Blum, Heidenhain and Hexagon. Market share of Renishaw is the biggest, although, from my experience, other are technologically at least as good. Renishaw probes are still relaying on over 40 years old brilliant Sir David Mc Murtry's idea of applying Maxwell's kinematic system in his product. In fact, technologically nothing changed from then. Vast majority of probes supplied even today are based on same phenomena. One could expect that someone would enter the market with really competing prices. Maybe the product discussed in this thread is the sign of such development. But in such case I would expect that full specification of the product, including manufacturer's data, will be presented. Amorphic and enigmatic description as given until now makes me quite suspicious.

If one is looking to solve the problem of smashed existing probe, then the $1500 deal is not very tempting. But if the task is equipping the "empty machine" with complete system, then it could be interesting. BUT …
As I deeply dislike monopolies, I've been looking for years for "new player" in the field of machine tool probing equipment suppliers. Had some adventures with Czech and Chinese firms who pretended to have the answers. Unfortunately it always failed once the obvious questions have been asked: long lasting repeatability, machine tool environment endurance, conformance with international electrical interference and radiation standards. So at the end, thousands of CNC producers throughout the world use the probing systems from 5 suppliers only: Renishaw, Marposs, Blum, Heidenhain and Hexagon. Market share of Renishaw is the biggest, although, from my experience, other are technologically at least as good. Renishaw probes are still relaying on over 40 years old brilliant Sir David Mc Murtry's idea of applying Maxwell's kinematic system in his product. In fact, technologically nothing changed from then. Vast majority of probes supplied even today are based on same phenomena. One could expect that someone would enter the market with really competing prices. Maybe the product discussed in this thread is the sign of such development. But in such case I would expect that full specification of the product, including manufacturer's data, will be presented. Amorphic and enigmatic description as given until now makes me quite suspicious.

Nothing to be suspicious about. At this point, just considering the possibilities for commercialization. If it does go forward, there will be complete specs, videos and early adopters to provide independent perspectives.

Why would a rechargeable battery be better in this application? Say I am using it and it goes dead. I need to charge the thing up for how long until I use it again? I think i would prefer to just be able to pop some new batteries in and move on.

Rechargeable, removable batteries like what is already in common use would be way nicer than permanent batteries I need to yank the device to charge. Throw some 18650’s or AA’s in there and call it good

Coolest would be a wirless recharger mounted in the tool magazine. Should need very little charge energy per probe cycle and a lot of the wireless chips have some really low sleep rate draws.

Biggest issue i see is getting enough sales to cover R&D on the electronics - interface. IMHO im with the guys above, you have to offer it with at least some software even if its just the basics.

Back