What's new
What's new

Marposs VTS visual tool checker (or others?) for extreme precision work?

SRT Mike

Stainless
Having an issue on a tight tolerance part. It's got .0005 tolerances all over it and has relatively complex geometry. It's being made on a high-end and brand new 5-axis machine, but we're having trouble maintaining tolerances and location on holes and such. There's very little room for error and we're doing things like monitoring coolant temps and verifying tool lengths in-process.

I came across the Marposs VTS and it seems to promise a lot. Can it deliver? It seems to be able to monitor and correct things like runout (in-line and tilt), tool profile and corner radii, tool edge chipping and deformation and more. If it can do everything it claims, it would be worth it in this application. But I don't want to trust what the salesfolks say. So what say you, experienced machinists and users?

Also, I am sure this little trinket costs a pretty penny... anyone have an idea on costs? I'm guessing the $20-50k range. But I might either be pleasantly surprised or unpleasantly saddened by the price. Just curious on a ballpark range before dealing with salesfolks.

I had a unique opportunity to learn and examine this instrument while visiting Marposs couple of years ago. Although Marposs is deeply involved in laser beam based tool setters, they were very well aware about inherent inability of these instruments to give accurate and repeatable results while examining and measuring wide range of diameters and complicated shapes of cutting tools.
The philosophy behind the VTS (watch this video YouTube) is completely different from other tool setter suppliers. In my opinion, Marposs products represent a leading edge of machining process control technology. This company, erected almost 70 years ago as metrology company, although grew enormously during these years, sticks strictly to this technology, not like others, suddenly dealing with medicine, dental and metal technologies.

Great link @PROBE - so a key point is that this device appears to function like an optical tool setter, rather than the "touch wire" laser approach. Whether it is better, worse, the same, I don't know.
One also wonders how hard it is to integrate with a given controller.

One also wonders how hard it is to integrate with a given controller.

Yea, that is my question as well.

This basically looks like a Speroni tool setter, but put inside the machine. That is awesome! But exactly how it is supposed to actually work with that machine tool (given most controls are straight outta 1990) is the big question.

Back