What's new
What's new

MasterCam key

All software is free.

However, licenses, keys, documentation and support to use it cost money. Defending a lawsuit for software piracy can also be more expensive than the license.

Free copys of MC are illegal and you will have to pay for the seat in order to get the key. Anything else is theft and can cost you dearly in the end.

Charles

Buy the seat.

Quite a few years ago when working on my MBA, a classmate of mine said it best, and goes something along this: ...I am a chemist at Dial, we develop formualtions that are the foundation of our company, anyone who steals our intelectual knowledge is taking my means of supporting my family.

Anybody remember what happened to Jesse James after he was spotted using a bootleg copy of MC on his TV show?

Can somebody please post a genuine link about this? I've read all over this forum how jesse james had to pay something like a 65k fine for being caught using an illegal copy of MC but I can't find anything supporting it. To me if there isn't a genuine link then it didn't happen....and I've been all over the net for the last 2 hrs trying to prove it with no luck. :smoking:

Hes probably referring to the educational version. I believe there is a version like that except it doesn't post for you. I could be wrong though.

Also just wanted to toss this at you, I know 2 re sellers of Mastercam. If you know any resellers, just ask them how hard it is to prove someones using illegal software or better yet, what procedures they have to go through to actually bust someone.

CBlair it probably took you only 2 seconds to find that link right? I have to wonder though how that works out cause it sounds like some of it is software installed on too many computers not pirated software in terms of never paid once for software.

I have, bought and paid for, MC X3. I also have, bought and paid for, MC 7, 8, and 9. Thanks to all the moral police for their goodwill and advice. When I purchased my "seat" for MC X3 the software was being "debugged", or something to that effect. I was given MC X2 and told I'd receive X3 when it was released. I got the upgraded software months ago, but since we don't do any 3D milling it sat in the box until recently. With older versions of MC you could use the software on another pc, but couldn't post code or save programs. I was looking for a way to try the new version on my laptop at home.

I keep my posts on PM on the positive side. If I think I can help somebody, I try. If I have nothing good to say, I say nothing. Looking back I may have worded my post differently, but there's response there from a few haters who would have found fault anyway.

By the way Doug, no I musta missed that episode of the Jesse James show while working. Would you be divulging to much about the cliffhanger by filling me in?

As you can see by your 1st post your insinuating you have no key or dongle as it were. All I originally saw in reading it was "Hey, I got free Mastercam, where can I get a key to make it work"
As you state in your last post you have paid for Mcam, in order for it to run you will need the key from "work?" for it to run. If you have a network license you will need to log into the network at "work?" in order for it to run. There is no other way around it unless you can get a demo from your reseller.
Dave

I got a "free" version of a newer MasterCam. I got the disks and manuals, but no "key" to enable it. Any suggestions, or anybody know a way around that?

The simple answer is:

Your mastercam dealer will supply you with the key/dongle/sim code, etc. to get it working.

I wrote it, and I still don't see the insinuation. As I said in a later post, in hindsight I might have worded it differently. Semantics I guess. I've never taken this as a site to further any kind of criminal enterprize. To think I would have posted, so publicly, something obviously illegal seems a bit ludicrous. I, or anybody, could Google it and find any number of dongles or emulators. Why ask here? I simply thought there may be a trick to get the software to even open on another computer. Well, at least a few members got a chance to rant about how much they paid for their respective "seats". I will be much more careful with my posts in the future. I've witnessed some of the acrimonious responses to posts here, but this was my initial first-hand experience. Makes me wanna go back and assault that poster who asked how, after 10 years as an operator, he could best further his career as a programmer. Screw you buddy, I paid $12k for my MC X3, you're just an operator! LOL!

Ok, ok. I understand what your saying. But, your were making the assumption that we knew you had an older version. Had you mention an upgrade it may have been different. Yes?
If your maintainence is up to date then you shouldn't need a code as it will be in the hasp. I.E. maintainence until 4/28/09 but if the release date of X3 is 4/29/09 it will not run unless you pay the maintainence fee This is just an analogy mind you, dates are hypothetical.
At any rate, you still have to physically move the key from 'puter to 'puter in a single seat instillation before it will run.
Dave

Thank you SchneiderMachine. The more I look at it the more I understand the confusion about my original post. My reference to a "free" version of MC meant the update package I got a few months after actually purchasing. I paid for X3, but was given X2 with the understanding that I'd get the X3 upgrade as soon as it was ready. Hence the "free" version of a newer MC. After the wait it felt like I was getting a new one all over again. When I saw what was included and how it was packaged I assumed I wasn't the only one who did it this way. My apologies for being vague and assuming.

I got a "free" version of a newer MasterCam. I got the disks and manuals, but no "key" to enable it. Any suggestions, any way around that?

I'll help you undeerstand how others may see this as a problem.

A- I got a "free" version of a newer MasterCam.
A free version refers to an "unpaid, unlicensed copy"

B- I got the disks and manuals, but no "key" to enable it.
This sounds very much like you have an "Unlicenced Copy" I say this because if it where licensed you would be given the Key or Code to access the software by your reseller.

C-Any suggestions
From where I sit this, this sounds like you are trying to go around MasterCam for the Key you are entitled to.

D-any way around that?
Around what, asking your reseller for the key you are entitled to, or getting around the need for that key.

When you pay a good chunk of change to get a leg up on the competition then someone comes along and tells you he stole a copy (unlicensed) it is kind of like that person stole from you. Then asking you for help with it because he cannot get legitamate support is icing on the cake. Maybe you have not thought of it that way before, but I do...

You should actually be thankfull about the responces if you think about it.

Well then there is always Pi's software hub! :evil:

JKJK

(anybody who has not been on this board for at least 4 years won't have a clue about whom I am speaking):D

No problem:)
All the new versions of Mastercam come that way, all packaged nice and purdy but, no key.
Usually the service packs are download-able as are the next versions if you don't want to wait but they will send a hardcopy also.
Dave

Thank you SchneiderMachine. The more I look at it the more I understand the confusion about my original post. My reference to a "free" version of MC meant the update package I got a few months after actually purchasing. I paid for X3, but was given X2 with the understanding that I'd get the X3 upgrade as soon as it was ready. Hence the "free" version of a newer MC. After the wait it felt like I was getting a new one all over again. When I saw what was included and how it was packaged I assumed I wasn't the only one who did it this way. My apologies for being vague and assuming.

Back