What's new
What's new

Material to use for collet chuck drawtube adapter?

SRT Mike

Stainless
Can't believe I didn't find anything from searching. I got a screaming deal on a collet chuck, but the nut doesn't match my drawtube, so I'm thinking to just make one. 60mm x 2mm thread.

What would be the best material? I'm hoping to get this done quick, so I would rather not send it out to get hardened... 4140PH? 1045? 17-4? Or A2 or something?

Can't believe I didn't find anything from searching. I got a screaming deal on a collet chuck, but the nut doesn't match my drawtube, so I'm thinking to just make one. 60mm x 2mm thread.

What would be the best material? I'm hoping to get this done quick, so I would rather not send it out to get hardened... 4140PH? 1045? 17-4? Or A2 or something?

anything will work, I used 316 stainless cause I always had a shit ton of it.
They dont need to be hardened make sure the threads are nice and smooth so it doesnt lock up on what every you use and debured very well.

I made a 16C thread adapter 23 years ago out of 6061 ,,, it was made as a proto type and its still working ,, I clean and grease the threads when ever I change from collet to three jaw

its a big thread with lots of contact and only holds like 3 or 4 thousand pounds ,, Hell a 1/4-20 nut can do that.

Back