What's new
What's new

Mazak Integrex C-axis oscillating/vibrating with large diameter part

pr2racing

Plastic
Help! - I am running a larger than normal part with extended jaws on a Mazak 300 Integrex. The spindle is buzzing due to the added weight/inertia. If I do a spindle orient it buzzes like crazy. If I turn the part, it buzzes bad enough that the finish is not acceptable. I have spoken to multiple people who have said that the spindle gain needs adjusted. I called Mazak and they will not tell me what or how to adjust but that they must send a service tech. I was told and read that there is a parameter SP038 that needs adjusted. The parameter currently reads &0004. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does &0004 mean anything?

Help! - I am running a larger than normal part with extended jaws on a Mazak 300 Integrex. The spindle is buzzing due to the added weight/inertia. If I do a spindle orient it buzzes like crazy. If I turn the part, it buzzes bad enough that the finish is not acceptable. I have spoken to multiple people who have said that the spindle gain needs adjusted. I called Mazak and they will not tell me what or how to adjust but that they must send a service tech. I was told and read that there is a parameter SP038 that needs adjusted. The parameter currently reads &0004. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does &0004 mean anything?

Sorry I don't have a direct answer for you but was wondering what diameter + length and weight of the part are you doing on the I-300 ? [Material might be secondary to your actual problem but curious as to what ( and maybe how) you are cutting ? ]. [Range of RPMs ? -ish for what you need to do ?].

How old is the machine / what kind of model ?

When you say "Turn" the part you mean actual turning operations + buzzing + surface finish problems (rather than rotating the C axis during milling operations) ?

How many of these parts have you run on this machine, or is this a "New" part ?

Ta.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Would you consider this a tweak that should be made without calling out official service tech?

Did you guys buy the machine new or second hand ?

Interesting point about possible low end torque curves for that c axis / turning spindle. For milling and positional I think the machine engages a special worm drive but for low end torque for slow RPM turning I'm not 100% sure what the machine is capable of ? [Something I should probably check out yo] .

Reply o questions from cameraman

Sorry I don't have a direct answer for you but was wondering what diameter + length and weight of the part are you doing on the I-300 ? [Material might be secondary to your actual problem but curious as to what ( and maybe how) you are cutting ? ]. [Range of RPMs ? -ish for what you need to do ?].

How old is the machine / what kind of model ?

When you say "Turn" the part you mean actual turning operations + buzzing + surface finish problems (rather than rotating the C axis during milling operations) ?

How many of these parts have you run on this machine, or is this a "New" part ?

Ta.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Would you consider this a tweak that should be made without calling out official service tech?

Did you guys buy the machine new or second hand ?

Interesting point about possible low end torque curves for that c axis / turning spindle. For milling and positional I think the machine engages a special worm drive but for low end torque for slow RPM turning I'm not 100% sure what the machine is capable of ? [Something I should probably check out yo] .

I am the second owner. It is a 640 mt pro control. The part is 20" oD X 16" id x 6" long. It is a new part for us and we plan to only run 4 pc. Holding with extended jaws on 10" chuck. Problem is only on subspindle the main spindle handles the part perfectly. It is a direct drive spindle motor. It is a facing operation so it is turning the part 700 sfm (200 rpm approx). The spindle is humming as it turns due this spindle tuning. If I do a spindle orient m200 it goes crazy buzzing violently.

It has always buzzed like this during a part transfer during the time both spindles were oriented and both chucks were still clamped on the part. I had read on an integrex forum that no longer exists that others had this problem and it was resolved by spindle gain tuning. I never looked into it since it only buzzed for a half second on a part transfer. I also have a 200 Integrex and it doesn't do this regardless of part size. I was hoping someone that had been through this might see my post since it sounded like not a new problem.

I would agree with you that it is a loop gain issue.
I know how to tune this on a fanuc control, unfortunately I know nothing of mazak.

Your barking up the right tree. My concern would be constantly needing to adjust this value for varying size parts, as I have had to do on Fanuc machines in the past.
At least with fanuc, its fairly easy to monitor following error while adjusting loop gain, and can be done yourself.

Perhaps explaining the fact that you do a wide variety of work with the machine to Mazak might lean them towards providing a document. Its not feasible for a service call every time it needs adjustment.

Reply o questions from cameraman

I am the second owner. It is a 640 mt pro control. The part is 20" oD X 16" id x 6" long. It is a new part for us and we plan to only run 4 pc. Holding with extended jaws on 10" chuck. Problem is only on subspindle the main spindle handles the part perfectly. It is a direct drive spindle motor. It is a facing operation so it is turning the part 700 sfm (200 rpm approx). The spindle is humming as it turns due this spindle tuning. If I do a spindle orient m200 it goes crazy buzzing violently.

It has always buzzed like this during a part transfer during the time both spindles were oriented and both chucks were still clamped on the part. I had read on an integrex forum that no longer exists that others had this problem and it was resolved by spindle gain tuning. I never looked into it since it only buzzed for a half second on a part transfer. I also have a 200 Integrex and it doesn't do this regardless of part size. I was hoping someone that had been through this might see my post since it sounded like not a new problem.
Hello, I have the same thing going on with the IVST400. Did you ever find a solution to the issue?
Thanks

Back