What's new
What's new

Mazak Lathe VDI Toolholders

SteveinAZ

Stainless
Oh where, oh where does one find them, other than Mazak??? I could use a few different styles, double sided for both spindles, facing holders and live tools. We recently picked uped a sweetheart used SQT200MSY and it came with a "basic" tool package, pretty much what the machine came with when new. Although every turret hole is filled, there are only one of each of the good stuff - one radial and one axial live tools, one doouble stick holder, one facing holder, and you know, that just won't cut it. So if anyone has a good source or some they wish to part with, I'm all ears.

Thanks, Steve

Steve,
There are several places, Parlec, WTO, Lyndex-Nikken, Gromax are some that I use. There are others that a good ol' Google search will turn up.

Brian

You have tried ebay, right?

As usual, you have to keep an eye out as there are good deals from time to time. "Mazak VDI" in the ebay search usually pulls up a lot of listings as does "Mazak holder".

I am not up to speed on your machine. Many listings show the Mazak part number in the image. You can then look up the number in your machine tooling manual and see if the tool number is the same one that fits your machine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAZAK-SQT-D...558?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41716e0b86

Mazak V Type Holder VDI Right Angle Quick Turn SQT QTN Model 535280103A1 | eBay

Thanks for the suggestions...I do skim ebay for stuff, but usually don't find too much in the way of these holders, at least now that I'm looking. I did find a lot of 4 or 5 live tools last December before I had the machine, those went for about $400 each, but I didn't want to take a plunge without knowing what i might get with the machine or if they would even fit.

Steve

Again, thanks for the suggestions. I am not in a big hurry to drop a ton of money on tooling, but you generally need those tools on the machine sooner than anyone will want to ship them to you, and certainly your customers will want parts before you even receive the tooling, just the nature of servicing your customers.

We were fortunate enough to stumble upon this machine late last year just by happenstance, the Mazak sales guy stopped by to say hello, and told me they took it in on trade from a customer that was buying a new one. I had no intention of buying any more toys but just couldn't pass it up, as I think I did fairly well on the buy. Odd thing though, how many lathes have a bar feeder with NO chip conveyor??? If you saw their shop, you would understand...10 pounds in a five pound shop, but they keep them humming right along, and don't have the real estate for the conveyors. This machine only ran one family of ~7/8" round 12L14 all of it's life, and they run all of their machines at 50% on rapids, and quite conservatively on speeds and feeds. Now I suppose I need to find some production work for it, just been quite busy keeping the other machines humming.

Steve

ps...Psycho, good to see you have some time to stop by and chime in again!

Back