What's new
What's new

MAZAK M4 - How to access cross travel x-axis ball screw

BACH

Aluminum
Hello all from South Africa

I need help. I have had virtually no work during the lockdowns and my Mazak stood for about three months.

When I started up about 3 weeks ago, I ran for a few days then started to get a problem with the x axis travel. Started giving alarm 401 Servo, and then blowing fuses (30A)on the servo control. Had an electronic tech out and we stripped the servo, found one of the brushes stuck and a lot of carbon build up. Sorted that out, but still getting the 401 alarm, but not blowing the fuse.
The tech swapped out the control board and the base with service exchange units, but no change.

I could not manually turn the ball screw via the timing belt though, when the servo motor was out.

I need to expose the ball screw and nut to see if there's a jam.

My question is, what do I have to strip to get to the nut so that I can lift off the top slide? It appears that one or both of the turrets have to come off.

Does anyone have advice?

Best regards
Tony

I know that there are only a few PM's with this machine, however I have found the answer to my question.

The ballscrew nut is mounted under 2 limit switch mounting plates, which are situated under the removable cover on the operator side of the rear (boring) turret. 2 cap screws put tension on a small gib acting on the nut, 2 cap screws hold the nut in place.

Removing these screws, and the 2 long gibs on either end of the slide allows the slide to be lifted slightly and moved back and forth.

It seems that my "jamming" problem was the result of years of accumulated crud around the slide gibs, in an area that is never exposed for day to day cleaning.

I have yet to reassemble and test, but the screw and nut are still very clean, no slack, and well lubed, so I am hoping to be running by tomorrow.

Best regards
Tony

Back