What's new
What's new

Mazak QT-15 alarms.

Well I finally have my new to me 1989 Mazak QT-15 set in place. Got the power hooked up to it today had to rewire transformer to take 480 since last shop had it wired for 230.

When I powered it up and tried to clear alarms so I could move the axis. I have alarm code 20 NMI Emergency Stop and code 202 Hydraulic Pressure down. Can anyone give onsite on these two alarms? I'm not familer with mazak yet so learning curve on that end one of the few machines I've yet to run and program.

I've read a few places that this could possibly be caused by pump running in wrong direction? If so will looking at gauge in front of machine verify this. Is it as simple as changing around hot wires coming in to main power switch if this is the case?

Also this machine came with a LNS hydro bar feeder. Is there anything special to hooking these up? Just follow the number on wire and match with panel? I have no diagram or books with this machine.

I'm hoping these are not major issues as I did take a gamble on this machine. I was not hooked up to power to test or anything so I'm in the dark on it. But with 3500 in the whole deal bar feeder lathe chip convarer and a hydraulic 3 jaw and hydraulic collet chuck with about 100 different collets from square hex to round I feel pretty safe on the deal.

(Currently have all panels off for cleaning in that picture)

Thanks for all the info in advance!!

20161029_172411.jpg20161104_193510.jpg

If it had a barfeeder hooked up to it, there will almost certainly be an E-stop switch on the bar feeder. You will never clear that until the bar feeder is re-connected, or you jumper / bypass the E-stop circuit at the plug or terminal strip where it connects.

Hydraulic pumps are expensive. I try not to run them backwards for long. Its a 50-50% chance on a new connection if your a gambling man. Me personally, I wouldn't wait just to see if it makes pressure on the pressure gauge. Find any thing else cheap, that's 3 phase, coolant pump, swarf conveyor etc. And manually jab the contactor for that to see which way its running.

Fans on Spindle motors are good, as long as you know its 3 phase. Don't get caught out, some fans are single phase and will run the correct direction regardless of phasing.

Assume you have had a sparky it to re-tap the tranny? if they happen to have a phase rotation meter, being Mazak, it should be connected for Clock Wise or right hand, normal rotation.

Regards Phil.

Well today I was able to get time to look into it more and after testing out some things I ended up flipping the hot wires coming into the disconnect and fixed the hydraulic and e stop alarm.

But have a question on the T-2 control is the red light by the Home button always lite up? And how do these machines home. Really wishing I had a manual right about now may have to break down an pay Mazak the 100 dollars per manual.

Also I was flipping through parameters and noticed the last page was all 0 is this normal? And if no ** in there does that mean I haven't lost any parameters?

Thanks
Daniel

20161105_113232.jpg20161105_113327.jpg20161105_113318.jpg20161105_113313.jpg20161105_113259.jpg

To home the axis, push the soft key that has (home on it) then plus X and plus Z buttons or if it has the joy stick for x and z.

To home the axis, push the soft key that has (home on it) then plus X and plus Z buttons or if it has the joy stick for x and z.

Tried that but the red light in corner of button won't disappear. No alarm or anything active though so I guess it could be possible soft key is stuck?

Your diagnose page will show all your present alarms. You might get more responses by posting this to the Mazak forum.

Not sure what is going on. I am pretty sure when you select jog/handle/home the button is supposed to stay lit to let you know you have that option selected.

Thanks for all the responses as i finally got machine to home and become somewhat operational. It looks like i need to finish registering machine with Mazak so i can order manuals so i can solve this one last alarm. Machine is homed out and tailstock back in the home position, chuck closed, door interlock turned off and i still can only hit the jog spindle button it spikes at 56 then comes back to around 34-37 it fluctuates between there. When i try to command it to turn on spindle i get a 216 start misoperation. You just hear a loud click from the spindle motor area then alarm. The fan is not running on top of motor so maybe that will be a sign something greater is wrong? Thanks again for all the earlier responses.

Thanks
Daniel

The spindle motor fan has to be running for the machine to work.

It could be the fan is locked up due to coolant goo, or the fan itself may be bad. I have had the start/run capacitor (located inside the fan wire's junction box) go bad, and replacing that got the fan working again.

The fan is powered through the spindle drive, with 3 small fuses at the bottom of the drive in the circuit. You have to remove a small sheet metal panel at the bottom of the FR-SF drive to inspect the fuses.

The FR-SF spindle drive and MR-S servo drive(s) have fans onboard that can lock up. You need to verify these are running as well.

Also check for a tripped breaker at the bottom of the FR-SF drive, and all breakers inside the electrical cabinet.

Mitsubishi Electric Automation in Chicago is very helpful with electrical issues on a Mazak - as they build all the electricals.

Also check Ebay for manuals, they're on there all the time.

ON EDIT: Also, the two door switches work counterintuitively! When the door is closed, the switch on the right closest to the control has to be "made" or closed, while the other switch has to be "unmade" or open. Of course they work opposite when the door is opened. Sometimes one of the switches can get jammed in the wrong position, and the control will never realize the door is actually closed.

Good luck with it!

ToolCat Greg

The spindle motor fan has to be running for the machine to work.

It could be the fan is locked up due to coolant goo, or the fan itself may be bad. I have had the start/run capacitor (located inside the fan wire's junction box) go bad, and replacing that got the fan working again.

The fan is powered through the spindle drive, with 3 small fuses at the bottom of the drive in the circuit. You have to remove a small sheet metal panel at the bottom of the FR-SF drive to inspect the fuses.

The FR-SF spindle drive and MR-S servo drive(s) have fans onboard that can lock up. You need to verify these are running as well.

Also check for a tripped breaker at the bottom of the FR-SF drive, and all breakers inside the electrical cabinet.

Mitsubishi Electric Automation in Chicago is very helpful with electrical issues on a Mazak - as they build all the electricals.

Also check Ebay for manuals, they're on there all the time.

ON EDIT: Also, the two door switches work counterintuitively! When the door is closed, the switch on the right closest to the control has to be "made" or closed, while the other switch has to be "unmade" or open. Of course they work opposite when the door is opened. Sometimes one of the switches can get jammed in the wrong position, and the control will never realize the door is actually closed.

Good luck with it!

ToolCat Greg

The inline fuses are all good, no breakers tripped inside door switches work as should but I have door interlock disabled. When you take off fan wire junction box it appears that previous owner just put the wires together that power the fan their is no start/run capacitor in there just wires bolted together with electrical tape. Would this affect fan from running?

Thanks
Daniel

Update I finally got the machine all figured out and running everything sounds good etc but unfortunately looks as if im going to have to re align the spindle as it cuts .0095 taper over a 12in cut. Thanks all for the help and it ended up being i needed to jump the two 24v relays for bar feeder. And i did end up ordering manuals from Mazak.

Thanks
Daniel

I just bought a 1990 qt 15 exact same issue it had the lns bar feeder removed I get a 128 stop error and a e 7 error there are wires not connected where bar feeder was one has 3 wired120 volt with a ground the other has at least 2 24 volt wires and numerous others pls help thx

Last edited:

Back