What's new
What's new

Mazak Qt10n T2 reinitialise problems

Djdock99

Plastic
Hi everyone. I hope someone can point me in the right direction🤞
I picked up a 1986 qt10n with T2 that had been sitting for at least 3 years. Condition unknown but looks very tidy for its age. It came with some manuals but cannot find anything related to my issues in them.
I have replaced all 3 batteries on the boards fx7xx.
Ive spent a good length of time trying to reinitialise the control using the Mazak service bulletin 0989-002 posted in some of the other threads, discharging the caps etc but to know avail.
Finally I managed to wipe the memory using rs232 method but the controller is still unresponsive when I understand i should be able to access the parameters! Hope someone can help out here?

Here is a video of where the machine is at.
Mazak qt10n reinitialise attempts with unresponsive controller - YouTube

Last edited:
FX701 is the main processor board.

FX715 is the monitor interface board (pretty sure).

FX784-8 and FX784-9 (or single FX884) are the software and memory boards.

The “tool pocket” alarm is common, and will go away once all the parameters are properly entered (only 3 pages).

Check EBay for spare boards, make sure they come from a T2 turning center.

ToolCat

Thanks Toolcat for the quick response.
Would I be correct in saying that there is an issue with one of these boards (probably Fx715) as the controller should be responsive at the point in the initialization process?

Could be the FX715….?

Also, the FX727 is important. It is the board that actually gets cleared upon reinitialization, so it could be an issue.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

ToolCat

After much studying of the boards in the machine, all the computers boards are original with fx727 having its capacitor changed at some stage.
WhatÂ’s interesting is that the push button board on the controller has been changed as it is in too good of condition for the age of the machine. Also the numbers donÂ’t match the manual KS-YZ-17b instead of 17a

Did the machine break down on the previous owner, he changed the board thinking it would fix it, but didnÂ’t and said enough is enough, time to get rid!!!

IÂ’ve purchased some 2nd hand boards to change but I highly doubt it will help, fx727, fx702 as these boards are directly connected to fx709 which located in front of ksyz17b in the controller interface.

QuestionÂ… should the led on fx709 be lit???

On fx715 there are 4 leds 2nd from the top is flashing and is labeled IT. Bottom led is on constant. Is this correct?.

Does anyone have any meldas YT2B uf701b manuals or information?

update.

After months of head scratching and probing and getting nowhere i came across 8 working boards from a scrap dealer on ebay and started swaping out the boards. fx 715 and fx 727 where not working. Thanks @cnctoolcat for the info and advise. you were pretty close.

Fx727 interfaces with the t2 controller. once the board was replaced the controller came to life.

Fx715 was also dead which interfaces with the hydraulic pump. Once this was replaced the hydraulic pump cam to life.

Next reinitialization was done using hyperterminal with a cable, and parameters input from the manuals. Im not sure if everything is 100% but no errors on the t2 control so will do for now.

New problem... tool turret will unclamp, but not rotate, faults out. looks like a mechanical issue.
Now I can finally home the machine and jog the turret around. woohoo!!! at least 5 years sitting up and its starting to move again.

Freqrol Fr-se spindle controller still has some issues. I had to change multiple igbt's, thoroughly check every component in the spindle controller to get to where i am now.

I had to RE-CAP the entire SE-pw power supply as this had leaky original capacitors still in it. massive shout out to Paul @ youtube channel, Mr carlson's Lab for the video explaining how to do this correctly and safely. ive tested this and its now operating correctly.

Next Board Sei-01 had blown transistors c2939 and blown diodes so i replaced all capacitors on the board aswell as well as some zener diodes, diodes, resistors, and secondary boards dk434, only six as these where expensive and they seem to blow in sixes from most photos online of spare boards ''for parts''.

Freqrol controller still has issues as fault leds 19 and 20 are lit on Sei-01 which say ''Base transistor cut off'' problem but havent found much info on this yet. if someone can help id really appreciate it.

Cant wait to get this thing going but my patients is getting abit thin.
cheers Paul.

Congrats on getting the control back to life. Lots of spare T2 parts out there. Some boards are specific to the revisions matching as a set, else they may not work.

The FR-SE spindle drive can be finicky, even after a rebuild.

Have you considered a retrofit drive? It's fairly straightforward, and a new spindle drive solves that problem on your machine for a long time!

There is some info on the web about FR-SE retrofits...

ToolCat

@ToolCat.. I wondered about the revisions and most of the boards I purchased on eBay are quite close to what was in the machine. so maybe that's why I'm getting somewhere at long last. Thanks for the info again.
Re spindle drive SEI-01 board, I bought an oscilloscope and started reading the waveforms off the converter and inverter channels.
The 6 original DK 434's seems to be behaving correctly when scoped with 1.8v to -2.8ishvolts square wave. to the untrained eye this seems stable and good.
However the channels with new dk434s (bko-nc2055 dark red insulation with red sticker from Malaysia) are not behaving normally at all. i have a feeling i messed up and installed the wrong ones into the board. from looking at pictures of refurbished boards i now think i should have installed dk434 bko-nc2055A black ones but id love to know what you guys think? maybe there is something else wrong somewhere.
I have Massive respect for industrial electricians after this project.

Regarding the turret, the motor isn't receiving any power when the index signal is sent. I haven't figured out yet where the motor gets its power from but the ssr board is mentioned in the manuals. are these boards reliable? or what does it do?

I'm a big believer in getting machinery back to factory spec and running before Modifying but i think this will come down to cost in the end. I would like to get this Fr-se going if at all feasible as I have all the manuals and spare parts built up.

You guys have far more experience with these machines than I do and when both Phil and yourself are advising I'll definitely re consider.

@Philabuster thank you for the work you do with your youtube channel. When I get this machine going, programing it should be a breeze thanks to your videos.
Cheers Paul

think i should have installed dk434

Yes.

You have to use the DK434 chip. The revision doesn't matter, but the ones you're installing should be tested first.

Especially with a used DK434...

Usually should replace all caps on the SE-IO1. And the transistors, diodes, resistors, etc. in the questionable firing circuits downstream from the DK434.

There are a couple of jumpers you have to have set to properly read the firing signals.

ToolCat

After alot of getting nowhere with the turret rotation, I figured out with the help from @benganboll that the op parameters in my manual are not accurate. This is the original manual that came with the machine but when I entered Benganboll's op parameters the turret came to life but I had a load of chuck faults. long story short a mixture of his and my Op parameters got the machine functioning correctly.

Next i got the spindle to finally turn in manual operation after a long time of sitting up. I ran it at 300rpms for an hour 500rpms for the next hour and 800, then 1000,1200,1500, you get the idea for the day.
during the 1500rpm episode the spindle controller faulted with an IOC alarm. a real kick in the guts after all the time ive spent on that piece of sh*t. I pulled the spindle controller out at the weekend and tested the transistors of the seio1 board as well as Diodes,Zeners, caps, resistors etc. found a blown resistor which i replaced and put all back, thinking surely that was it.
No go this morning so ive ripped it out again. looks like ill have to go over all the igbts again unless anyone hear has other suggestions
Think it might be time to retrofit now that its ran and everything worked as it should.

Back